12v 50amp wire/cable connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have been given two 12v 50amp batteries to replace some 12v 10 amp batteries that have gone dead. The batteries are to be used in my sons electric ride on truck, I have a couple of questions please.

1.) Does the extra amperage of the battery mean that it will last longer between charges and will the fact that it is a greater amperage make it too much for the truck or because it is still 12v should it be ok.

2.) Also is it possible to buy connectors for 12v 50 amp batteries so that the batteries can be disconnected/ connected easily ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have been given two 12v 50amp batteries to replace some 12v 10 amp batteries that have gone dead. The batteries are to be used in my sons electric ride on truck, I have a couple of questions please. ... 1.) Does the extra amperage of the battery mean that it will last longer between charges ....
Do you mean 10 amp and 50 amp, or perhaps 10 Ah (amp-hours) and 50 Ah? If the latter, then yes, they will last much longer between charges.
....and will the fact that it is a greater amperage make it too much for the truck or because it is still 12v should it be ok.
The truck is only worried about voltage (it will take as many amps as it wants/needs) - so, so long as it's 12V, that's fine.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks both for your replies, yes of course I meant 12v 50ah sorry !
Because the voltage is the same can I use the same connectors or if I decide to use new ones can it be any cable and connector that handles 12v?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Meant to add to last question does the higher ah rate mean the wires/cables have to be heavier duty? Thanks

its no more amps its just a bigger bank at 12v so use the same connectors and cable.

Thanks both for your replies, yes of course I meant 12v 50ah sorry ! Because the voltage is the same can I use the same connectors or if I decide to use new ones can it be any cable and connector that handles 12v?
You're welcome. Sure. It's the current which flows which matters to the connectors and, since the voltage is still 12V, the truck will just draw whatever current in needs, which will be the same as it always has been - so the existing connectors (and cable) would be fine. If you choose to use new ones, they need to be adequate to cope with whatever current the truck draws from the battery (the instructions/manual should tell you that).

Kind Regards, John

as an aside
you cannot assume your charger will happily charge the bigger battery
it may be ok and fully charge taking perhaps 5 times longer
it may only charge to a fraction off the capacity
it may overheat and catch fire
the only way is to charge the battery via the large contacts and with a compatable i assume car battery charger assuming its a car battery

is the charger a small wall wort type ??

These
1.jpg
are the standard type of battery connectors for vehicles the colour shows the voltage.

But for smaller units be it a wheelchair, mobility scooter, or golfing trolley often cheaper units are used or specials which force the use of their batteries.

Charging a battery takes many forms from a trickle charger to a float charger to a stage charger to a pulse charger each will charge at different speeds and the range of batteries they can charge also varies.

The stage charger for example starts flat out current regulated mode and then at a set voltage switches to voltage regulation but monitors the current and once current drops to a pre set level it drops the voltage.

That per set level is different according to amp hour rate of the battery. So with the one my son had it was for 150 - 300 Ah.

With the pulse charger the range is much higher.

Batteries have two very different ratings. Amps and Amp hours. For a vehicle starting battery the amp is used this says how much can be drawn by the starter. These batteries are designed to have a short demand then immediately recharged. For golfing trolleys, fork lifts, mobility scooters and milk floats we use the traction battery these are designed to give out power over a long time and to be near fully discharged then to be charged up again. The construction is very different if you did that to a car battery it would not last long. However the traction battery would not give out enough amps for a vehicle starter motor.

There is a hybrid half way between the two this is called a leisure battery. So where a 60 Ah car battery would start a car a 90 Ah leisure battery would start the same car but also be OK if half discharged running inertia lights. Often used with caravans and motor caravans.

The leisure battery seems to change make to make some being nearly a car battery and some being nearly a fork lift battery.

There is no direct comparison Ah to A as for a different job. But it is unlikely any motor vehicle battery is as small as 10A but could very well be rated at 50A so I am guessing you had a 10 Ah battery and have replaced it with a 50 Amp battery which is unsuitable for a ride on truck. So please what have you really got.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back