Slugs in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know recent downpours have exacerbated slug situation, but we’ve had the odd one coming in for a while.

Images show the areas where they appear, but not necessarily where they enter. You’ll see I used copper tape around door frame and between skirting and floor. (Some quite big gaps there) I’ll put some pellets down, but would be grateful for any wisdom on likely entry point into conservatory.

(One it two cloning and getting in through windows)

I can’t find any holes in external brickwork.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1F69EF90-BA7A-4B06-8C18-EDC9F9BB0F13.jpeg
    1F69EF90-BA7A-4B06-8C18-EDC9F9BB0F13.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 47EE0425-F317-4965-8C45-F85629D9C258.jpeg
    47EE0425-F317-4965-8C45-F85629D9C258.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 80
  • 5B3D1494-834E-4EE1-992C-306C9D246D59.jpeg
    5B3D1494-834E-4EE1-992C-306C9D246D59.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 75
  • E4249A1A-0D85-4110-9B9C-C91DBF344D08.jpeg
    E4249A1A-0D85-4110-9B9C-C91DBF344D08.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
I've found that when I harvest my apples, and rhubarb, a bunch of daffodils etc from the garden, I often find that I've inadvertently brought a slug or two into the house.
That could be their entry route.

They can walk the length of a typical garden in one night. If you scatter pellets thinly (never in piles) the numbers will gradually drop.

If you can put them under hedges they will be protected from rain and last longer.

And around the house walls.

Is the floor concrete?

Where is the damp?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, concrete floor. Do you mean damp course? Where would I find that? It’s v frustrating. I watched TV in conservatory until about midnight, checking the skirting and door frame like a hawk. I leave the room for five mins, and they’ve arrived. I think I’ll have to stay up all night to see where they’re entering, Thanks re advice on slug pellets.

We used to get them in our kitchen when we had a cat - they used to come up during the night between the skirting board and the floor and were attracted by cat food that we had left down and the cat hadn’t eaten it. They can get through very small holes.

Many years ago when I used to go night fishing, we would often have a brew up. My mate used to poke two small holes in the foil milk bottle top. When we were packing up in the morning I emptied what was left of the milk out and I had a big snotty lump of slime hanging out of one of the holes. Turned out to be one of the largest slugs I’d seen - as thick as my thumb and twice as long had squeezed inside the milk bottle through a hole smaller than a pencil and had been sharing our milk all night. Urgh!

if there is any plumbing, there might be ragged gaps where holes have been drilled for pipes or wastes.

Hi

Nope, no plumbing. It’s been a nice dry day here, so perhaps they’ll leave us tonight.

We used to get them in our kitchen when we had a cat - they used to come up during the night between the skirting board and the floor and were attracted by cat food that we had left down and the cat hadn’t eaten it. They can get through very small holes.

Many years ago when I used to go night fishing, we would often have a brew up. My mate used to poke two small holes in the foil milk bottle top. When we were packing up in the morning I emptied what was left of the milk out and I had a big snotty lump of slime hanging out of one of the holes. Turned out to be one of the largest slugs I’d seen - as thick as my thumb and twice as long had squeezed inside the milk bottle through a hole smaller than a pencil and had been sharing our milk all night. Urgh!

I've got an old electric kettle in a workshop for making the odd tea/coffee.
I always filled it up from the outside tap through the spout, never bothered to take the lid off.

I think on it was a winters day, and I was messing about trying to fill the kettle from a bottle to heat water to defrost the tap. Took the lid off the kettle and found a cooked slug inside, god knows how many weeks/months that had been in there :sick::sick:

I always take the top off the kettle now to fill it.

Slugs start off tiny, they can even find their way in the house on the soles of your shoes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back