Small Animal Play Pen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm a complete DIY novice so excuse my lack of knowledge!

I own hamsters and don't have anywhere particulary safe to let them out to stretch their legs. I tried the hall way but they go straight for the corners of the room and start gnawing at the carpet :rolleyes: Commerical play pens for hamsters are only about 25cm tall which is very, very easy for a Syrian to climb up and over so not very secure! I did make a make shift playpen using corrugated plastic (the type used for signs) but it doesn't last very long and looks, er, ugly.

So, I've been thinking of making a secure, relatively nice looking playpen. I'd like something that's similar to a rabbit run but with a base not a roof and the sides having perspex panels rather than mesh or chicken wire. Does that make any kind of sense? I'd like to be able to dismantle it and store it flat for times when it needs to go away (like at Christmas or when I have guests over to stay).

The thing is, I have absolutely no idea how to actually make it. I contacted someone who makes furniture asking if he would be able to but never heard back so I'd like to give it a go myself.

Can anyone help me work out what materials and tools I would need?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back