small cheep electric shower wanted

A 13amp circuit is only capable of running a 2kw appliance.

1) In UK, a 13A circuit is practically unknown

2) A 13A plug, or FCU, can supply 3kW. That's why the figure was selected. At the time it was introduced, the biggest load any house was expected to have was a 3-bar electric fire, using 3kW, and the plug and socket were designed to supply it; but can also be fused down for lighter loads.

A 3kW instant hand-wash water heater is available, but the flow and temperature are about the same as a cat peeing on your hands, so they are almost entirely useless.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links

2) A 13A plug, or FCU, can supply 3kW. That's why the figure was selected. At the time it was introduced, the biggest load any house was expected to have was a 3-bar electric fire, using 3kW, and the plug and socket were designed to supply it; but can also be fused down for lighter loads.

A 3kW instant hand-wash water heater is available, but the flow and temperature are about the same as a cat peeing on your hands, so they are almost entirely useless.

So really the OP needs to re-home 3 cats

With a 1.2m cord to plug into ones extension lead as there won't be a wall socket close enough. Wrapping the extension lead in a plastic bag is an optional safety recommendation.

Nozzle
As is wearing wellingtons and marigolds in the shower
I'd personally hang the extension lead on the shower curtain rail so it's not a trip hazard.

Hi
I am looking for a small electric water heater to use as a shower
Saw this on screwfix for 50 quid, but I get the impresion it requires more then a 13amp ring main
https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-enrich-white-8-5kw-manual-electric-shower/52753
On a serious note get pro to come in and look at it for you. When i installed my first shower the sparky found out my earth bond to the house had failed. I had to get the utilities company in to re bond the house before the shower could be connected. Also my consumer unit is at the front of the house in the corner and the bathroom is upstairs at the back so it was a 15m run of cable to it. If you have a combi it may be better to get a mixer tap instead.

Sponsored Links

13Ax240V=3120W
Yes a hand wash water heater may have to do then
Othwise what do you think the cost of getting someone to wire up a proper shower would be

Happy Brexit BTW!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back