Small Chest of Drawers/Platform for heavy ac unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question I was wondering if anyone could help answer. I have one of those big bulky portable air conditioning units, mainly because I don't have my own place at the moment I just rent and that's why I didn't go with a wall unit.

Unfortunately it has one of those small 5 litre compartments that collects the water it sucks out of the air. The heat is pumped through a hose out of the window. I'm sure you know the type.

Unfortunately the thing because of the heat and humidity at the moment it keeps filling up every 2 hours and I have to keep on emptying it. Instead I'd like to use the pull down pipe at the back I can attaching tubing to so that the water can just drain away as well as the hot air being expelled.

To do this I would need to raise the unit 23" off the ground so the hose for the water could flow downwards and out the window.

I was thinking that a small chest of drawers would probably do the trick, the only problem will be knowing what would be able to handle the weight of a portable air conditioner on top?

It weights absolutely tonnes! Well I am sure it must be about 50kg in weight at a guess! It's a 12,000btu unit. I'm not sure that a chest of drawers you could pick up at Ikea or Focus etc would be able to take that amount of weight without being reinforced?

Can anyone advise how thick the wood need to be in order to safely take 50kg of weight without collapsing?

The dimensions would be 19" wide 16" depth and 23" height. The Ac unit also has wheels on so I would have to remove these and also have some absorbent padding between the a/c unit and top of the platform I either buy or make for it to go on in order to prevent vibrations and stop the whole thing shaking and making noise. Would also need padding on the bottom of the platform as well I think.

If you have any ideas on what the thickness of the wood would need to be to take 50kg's in weight I'd appreciate your advice or any other suggestions you might have.

I will hopefully one day be able to afford to buy my own house and have proper a/c wall unit and none of this messing about. Will be a lot quieter and more economical specially if I get a unit with an inverter. For now though I've got to make do with this beast.

Cheers!
John

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo john
unfortunatly you are trying to utilise the space and you are hoping you can fit in a chest off drawers as thats usefull to yourself

i personaly make chest off drawers wardrobes bookshelves shelving storage units units
all to support beds off the floor between 600 and around 1800

now i build the chests ect the same whether they are for grans photo or a high level bed

the simple fact is you cannot reinforce flat pack units to support any weight above a babys changing matt or a 16" tv anything bigger will deform the top

heeelllooo john
unfortunatly you are trying to utilise the space and you are hoping you can fit in a chest off drawers as thats usefull to yourself

i personaly make chest off drawers wardrobes bookshelves shelving storage units units
all to support beds off the floor between 600 and around 1800

now i build the chests ect the same whether they are for grans photo or a high level bed

the simple fact is you cannot reinforce flat pack units to support any weight above a babys changing matt or a 16" tv anything bigger will deform the top

Thanks! I pretty much thought flat packs would be no good so it looks like I will have to make myself.

Do you know what thickness of wood I'd have to go with to support 50kgs without deforming??

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
depends on your woodwork skills and what you want to try and do with the space underneath!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back