Any free plans for building a chest of drawers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been watching YouTube videos and think I would like to attempt to build a simple drawer/chest drawer.

Although I've got the idea and jist of what to do, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any free plans so I can use it as a guide?

In particular the dimensions and how to build the drawers so they all are of equal length/height when sliding in and out.

I would like to have it with the wood effect but I think a certain plywood is required so I can apply a word stainer (I think) but not sure what type?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did see them but felt they looked very dated compared to the modern stuff... Will give them another read through assuming I can change the type of wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
by more modern what do you mean ???
i make hundreds off pine country kitcken style units over the last 30 years
a tall say 4 drawer chest from pine around 20" deep by 36 high by around say 42" wide
will use perhaps £80 worth off materials and take a novice perhaps 7- 14 days
i would take about 4 or 5 days perhaps 15-20 hrs in total with glue drying time between actions spreading the hours out over a few days
now as i am retired for freinds and family i add 0% to 100% on top off materials for my troubles so the chest above would be between £80-160

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
by more modern what do you mean ???
i make hundreds off pine country kitcken style units over the last 30 years
a tall say 4 drawer chest from pine around 20" deep by 36 high by around say 42" wide
will use perhaps £80 worth off materials and take a novice perhaps 7- 14 days
i would take about 4 or 5 days perhaps 15-20 hrs in total with glue drying time between actions spreading the hours out over a few days
now as i am retired for freinds and family i add 0% to 100% on top off materials for my troubles so the chest above would be between £80-160

That's interesting to know the time it takes as of course, as you know YouTube videos do make it look really easy :)

The type I was looking at was

https://www.diy.com/departments/dar...-w-800mm-d-420mm/3663602372042_BQ.prd/gallery

I don't know if the front material (drawer) is paint or something else.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To deconstruct: any cabinet is just a series of boxes

Some basically that is a box. Two end panels, a top, a back (, ideally a bottom) and a kicker panel at the bottom

The drawers are boxes: two sides, a front and back, a bottom and a screwed on decorative front.

The ironmongery required is a pair of drawer runners for each drawer, 4 no knock-in feet and handles or knobs for each drawer

Ideal materials for a starter project are MDF or MFC (melamine faced chipboard)

With accurately pre cut materials it should be possible to put the main part of it together in a weekend. The most difficult thing to do will be the drawer boxes so for a starter project it may be better to consider buying in pre-made drawer boxes from a firm such as Buller or Locks on Line or at least buying in pre-grooved drawer side stock. It depends on how much you want to do yourself and how good your tool kit id

How do you want to finish it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links