Any free plans for building a chest of drawers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been watching YouTube videos and think I would like to attempt to build a simple drawer/chest drawer.

Although I've got the idea and jist of what to do, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any free plans so I can use it as a guide?

In particular the dimensions and how to build the drawers so they all are of equal length/height when sliding in and out.

I would like to have it with the wood effect but I think a certain plywood is required so I can apply a word stainer (I think) but not sure what type?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
I did see them but felt they looked very dated compared to the modern stuff... Will give them another read through assuming I can change the type of wood

by more modern what do you mean ???
i make hundreds off pine country kitcken style units over the last 30 years
a tall say 4 drawer chest from pine around 20" deep by 36 high by around say 42" wide
will use perhaps £80 worth off materials and take a novice perhaps 7- 14 days
i would take about 4 or 5 days perhaps 15-20 hrs in total with glue drying time between actions spreading the hours out over a few days
now as i am retired for freinds and family i add 0% to 100% on top off materials for my troubles so the chest above would be between £80-160

Sponsored Links
by more modern what do you mean ???
i make hundreds off pine country kitcken style units over the last 30 years
a tall say 4 drawer chest from pine around 20" deep by 36 high by around say 42" wide
will use perhaps £80 worth off materials and take a novice perhaps 7- 14 days
i would take about 4 or 5 days perhaps 15-20 hrs in total with glue drying time between actions spreading the hours out over a few days
now as i am retired for freinds and family i add 0% to 100% on top off materials for my troubles so the chest above would be between £80-160

That's interesting to know the time it takes as of course, as you know YouTube videos do make it look really easy :)

The type I was looking at was

https://www.diy.com/departments/dar...-w-800mm-d-420mm/3663602372042_BQ.prd/gallery

I don't know if the front material (drawer) is paint or something else.

To deconstruct: any cabinet is just a series of boxes

Some basically that is a box. Two end panels, a top, a back (, ideally a bottom) and a kicker panel at the bottom

The drawers are boxes: two sides, a front and back, a bottom and a screwed on decorative front.

The ironmongery required is a pair of drawer runners for each drawer, 4 no knock-in feet and handles or knobs for each drawer

Ideal materials for a starter project are MDF or MFC (melamine faced chipboard)

With accurately pre cut materials it should be possible to put the main part of it together in a weekend. The most difficult thing to do will be the drawer boxes so for a starter project it may be better to consider buying in pre-made drawer boxes from a firm such as Buller or Locks on Line or at least buying in pre-grooved drawer side stock. It depends on how much you want to do yourself and how good your tool kit id

How do you want to finish it?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back