Small cracks in new skim

Bit of a cowboy if you ask me. Is he a Brit?

Sponsored Links
yeah he is a brit. came recommended. think he might have just taken on more than he is comfortable with. do kind of feel that i got a "professional" in for a decent finish. tackle other diy myself.

He is meant to plastering the whole house. The skim on the rest of the walls and stairs in the bits he has done seem ok, just the rad and window bit thats a concern.

Not sure what the best plan of action is.

Sort out the support issue yourself then show him what you've done and that you are better than he is. That should keep him on his toes. Was he cheap? What sort of price is he working to?

his quote was 3200 for skimming the whole house with overboarding ceilings (2 bed terrace). was on the cheaper end of the quotes we got but as was recommended and works with a gas engineer we have used who did a great job thought we could go for it.

Sponsored Links

You're obsessed joe!

Does it really matter? We've had more home grown cowboys causing bother on here than any other kind.

By your standards are we going to start saying Brit tradesmen are inferior just because this guy is one?

his quote was 3200 for skimming the whole house with overboarding ceilings (2 bed terrace). was on the cheaper end of the quotes we got but as was recommended and works with a gas engineer we have used who did a great job thought we could go for it.
£3200 for skimming a 2 bed house? how many rooms?, looks like your not getting your moneys worth, it looks like hes a one coat wonder merchant to me, you shouldent be able to see the beads like that around the window, also by the rad you can see the join between the boards it looks like hes taking short cuts and i dont know why because you can get a 2 bed house down here skimmed for half the price hes charging you

You're obsessed joe!

Does it really matter? We've had more home grown cowboys causing bother on here than any other kind.

By your standards are we going to start saying Brit tradesmen are inferior just because this guy is one?
any one read the sun today?
page 26? " TITLED BORIS THE BUILDER" in construction, the number of brits fell from 2.03 million to 1.98 million while foreigners rose from 117,000 to 153,000 they also go on to say about the british are losing out to the foreigners also it says that 181,000 people gained employment last year and a 163,000 of them were foreign, it also says how they can afford to undercut the british workers, "just thought i would say what i read today" looks like joe was right about why the prices are coming down and why a lot of people cant cant earn a decent living and are leaving the construction industry

i thought work was picking up quite alot of the builders i work for are busy again granted some of them are building thier own stuff and selling it on but things are moveing again.
there is still an issure with foreign workers comercial sites are flooded with them this i why i moved away from big sites (diddnt like them anyway)
3200 seems a bit steep to be honest how many ceilins is he overboarding

the quote includes skimming 4 rooms and all hall and stairs with all ceilings overboarded and the upstairs room walls reboarded.

the quote includes skimming 4 rooms and all hall and stairs with all ceilings overboarded and the upstairs room walls reboarded.
overboard 4 ceilings & skim 4 rooms and a hallway =7-8 days work def no more than 10 days, why are the walls being boarded? £3200 is well steep for a week- week and a halfs work

overboard 4 ceilings & skim 4 rooms and a hallway =7-8 days work def no more than 10 days, why are the walls being boarded? £3200 is well steep for a week- week and a halfs work

Don't go bringing the prices down , steve , some of us Brits have to pay the mortgage :LOL:

(I agree with you though)

If the OP looks around he'll find a Polish spread to do it for half that.

thinking about the price of this job a bit more i work it out as the spread had put himself on no less than £2000 a week or more if saying it should take no more than 10 days max and thats being generous, at half that price a spread would still be on about £1000 a week if he was to do it for that price, no wonder people are queuing up to employ poles lithuanians and what have you, also i think you could get a good home grown brit spread for £1600, you also have to look at the quality of the work this op is getting, looks like its a one coat wonder job skim is way to thin, i would still like to know why the walls are being boarded

I'd certainly get another quote or two.

I'd like to know why he is boarding the walls too. My guess is that he isn't competent to do it any other way.

You're obsessed joe!

I'm obsessed about foreign workers coming in and depressing Brit living standards when we should be training our young lads to work the tools.

We don't need them. Simples.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back