small cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

TBH i dont quite know how to explain this correctly.

Have an under stairs cupboard, small door with architrave round it etc. What im hoping to achieve is remove the architrave and plaster right to the edge, get a new door that is a better fit, have everything wallpapered and skirting boards etc so it practically is un-noticeable.

Have any of you done/seen or know what I am on about :)
Is it achievable with good results?
Anybody know of some pictures I can browse

thanks

Sponsored Links
Wallpapering a door is a bad idea.

The surfaces of doors are washable for a reason, and doors have architraves for a reason.

If you plaster right up to the door then paper over it, the edge will get very raggy.

yeah can see your point about papering a door been a bad idea.

could of course build a frame and plasterboard over that and then paper. Only thing I could think of would be to use some beading at the edges and then plaster over it to give straight edges etc.

Was just hoping somebody may have/done this before.

Why are you so hell bent on disguising the door? Just paint it (and the architrave) in eggshell finish in white/cream/ivory (or another colour to blend in with the wallpaper round it) and nobody will notice it. And even if they do, why is it a problem? Have you got someone hidden under there Harry Potter style, or what?

Very few people will have done it before because it is bad design to wallpaper a door. It will get grubby when people put their hand on it to open it.

If you mean that you want to get rid of the door completely - are you sure? (Storage space?). If so, then remove door and architrave , construct noggins at back to support plasterboard, attach plasterboard so it's flush with the rest of the wall, scrim, fill, sand, seal, wallpaper. It will be very difficult to do it invisibly.

I'd just leave the door there if I were you.

Sponsored Links
Why are you so hell bent on disguising the door?

not really a concern of your's is it?

Just paint it (and the architrave) in eggshell finish in white/cream/ivory (or another colour to blend in with the wallpaper round it) and nobody will notice it. And even if they do, why is it a problem? Have you got someone hidden under there Harry Potter style, or what?

It is no problem whether it is there or not. It was just something I decided I might have like to do. Maybe I'm constructing a secret tunnel into your back garden and when you least expect it, i'll burst through your lawn and pepper you with gun fire.

Very few people will have done it before because it is bad design to wallpaper a door. It will get grubby when people put their hand on it to open it.

Ever thought that this is maybe your own opinion? Maybe I stroll around all day in a paper suit and frequently change my latex gloves at 5 minute intervals or when they become contaminated

If you mean that you want to get rid of the door completely - are you sure? (Storage space?). If so, then remove door and architrave , construct noggins at back to support plasterboard, attach plasterboard so it's flush with the rest of the wall, scrim, fill, sand, seal, wallpaper. It will be very difficult to do it invisibly.

Please take 2 mins to read my opening post and point me to the words that remotely looks like i suggested I wanted to get rid of the door completely? I need the space.
And thanks for the advice on blocking the door but this is not something I wish to do. And TBH I wouldn't waste my time filling, sanding etc, i'd just skim the wall.

I'd just leave the door there if I were you.

Yeah well your not!

TBH I appreciated your 1st comment, its nice to have other peoples views or experiences, however your most recent post has been a complete piece of shat!!

Have seen it done with built in wardrobes and it can look quite good. The doors seem to just disappear. The ones I have seen tend to be push operated so they don't have handles and use flush hinges. If papering then may be best to coat with water based matt varnish (if the paper will allow) so you can clean off any grubby marks caused by opening and closing.

Be aware though if you do varnish over the paper it will be a real ball ache to strip in the future!!!

not really a concern of your's is it?

None of the problems which people bring to this forum are a concern of mine. I was merely trying to educate you as to what a naff idea it is, as you seem to have the aesthetic/design sense of a wombat.

It is no problem whether it is there or not. It was just something I decided I might have like to do. Maybe I'm constructing a secret tunnel into your back garden and when you least expect it, i'll burst through your lawn and pepper you with gun fire.
Unlikley. My neighbours are all normal.

Ever thought that this is maybe your own opinion? Maybe I stroll around all day in a paper suit and frequently change my latex gloves at 5 minute intervals or when they become contaminated
Obviously it is my opinion. Most of what people tell you on this forum is their opinion. IN this case, it also happens to be true, though. For reasons I've explained, wallpapering doors is a bad idea from a design point of view, unless the door is never to be used. (In which case, why have it?)

Please take 2 mins to read my opening post and point me to the words that remotely looks like i suggested I wanted to get rid of the door completely? I need the space.
That's fine , but by your own admission in your opening post you said you didn't know how to explain it. It was a reasonable line of enquiry in the circumstances.
And thanks for the advice on blocking the door but this is not something I wish to do. And TBH I wouldn't waste my time filling, sanding etc, i'd just skim the wall.
Good for you. But we're not psychic and nowhere did you say you were a plasterer, either.

Yeah well your not!
This makes no sense. My what? Words missing?

TBH I appreciated your 1st comment, its nice to have other peoples views or experiences, however your most recent post has been a complete piece of shat!!
There's no need to be abusive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back