Customer laughed at my quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok..

Has something suddenly happened to the decorating market that anyone is aware of... as Ive just had four knockbacks in a row over price for the first time in three years.

First was a reasonable size three bed semi in s.london with 9ft ceilings - quote was to decorate hall stairs & landing which have all just been replastered. My quote was to prepare and paint staircase, (approx 40 spindles, strings), two u/stairs cupboard doors, 9 doorframes with 100mm architrave (not doors though), all skirtings, Internals of window frames to front door and on landing with cills. Paint two coats emulsion on ceilings and walls. All pretty std stuff.

I quoted £980 all in and was practically laughed out the door. Obviously you can never win them all but I normally get a very good percentage of the jobs I go for and with three similar jobs having all just gone a spookily similar way I am left feeling a bit bemused...

Whats the feeling out there ?

Sponsored Links
Welcome to forum markyb :D

I see your from London, and I'm from London too,it could be a London thing :confused: I am not getting exactly laughed at, but getting a few tut tuts, and a couple are trying to knock me down big time.
I have a quote ready now to give to someone, but I know it will be the same.
I just cant do it for any less, and I cant really knock anything off, as if you start all that, then word gets around and you will be doing it for peanuts.

I just think the customers are getting different quotes from the eastern block, and are hoping we can match thier price. :rolleyes:

This is the benefit of immigration, you will have to compete or pack up.

Sponsored Links
How many days works did you base that on Mark?...about 6?...reasonable for London IMO

I was born and worked in south london for 27 years...

Half the problem is the time of year not much work about...and people know it...**** em...once you start dropping your prices you have had it.

Plus some people just have to have something knocked off...if you had said a pound they would have wanted it for 99 pence.

Who's going to pay a grand a week when they can get a Pole to do the same job for £250? It's still 5 times what they earn at home so they are quids in.

Hi Zampa...

Spot on.

A few months ago I lost out on a straight "tosh job" where the guy had asked for the quickest and cheapest job possible in a house he was renting out. I went in at £100 a day + materials at cost and he turned me down. Found out later he got TWO Polish guys for £60 a day... And get this.. wasnt £60 each - was FOR THE TWO OF THEM !!!.... I was flabbergasted.

Would love to go and see what it looks like.... just worried that if I did, it would actually be really good :)

a ton a day in the smoke :eek: M8`s getting £120 a day in the sticks , here :cry: you have my sympathy

Hi Mark, we would like to have our external wall painted and were wondering if you would be interested. To avoid timing unnecessary wasting on both sides, would you mind tell me a bit about your skills, are you a general DIY or painter/decorator.

Thanks

Hi Zampa...

Spot on.

A few months ago I lost out on a straight "tosh job" where the guy had asked for the quickest and cheapest job possible in a house he was renting out. I went in at £100 a day + materials at cost and he turned me down. Found out later he got TWO Polish guys for £60 a day... And get this.. wasnt £60 each - was FOR THE TWO OF THEM !!!.... I was flabbergasted.

Would love to go and see what it looks like.... just worried that if I did, it would actually be really good :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back