Realistic quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My mother-in-law has just received a quote for redecorating an empty house and wanted to know if the price is fair (£5k). The work to be done is

1. Remove all wallpaper (approx area = 280m2). I've had a look and it looks like it comes off ok i.e. will pull off in most places. Plaster under wallpaper is in good condition

2) make walls good.

3) Paint walls twice. Area is approx 325m2.

4) Paint all ceilings. Area approx 100m2.

5) Quote also stated that all wood work would be painted but I haven't measured that up i.e. skirting, architrave.

I was also going to get a plumber in to remove all rads before decorating (to make removing wallpaper easier and get make it easier painting behind rads). Is that worth doing?

What would be reasonable price for this work, with and without the woodwork being painted?

Many thanks
S

Room dimensions

Bedroom 4.01 3.43
En-Suit 1 2
Bedroom 4.01 2.97
Bedroom 3.23 2.34
Bathroom 2 3
Landing 1 5
Entrance Hall 1 5
Cloak room 1 2
Study 2.29 2.01
Lounge 4.01 3.84
Dining Room 3.35 2.54
Kitchen 3.86 2.54

Sponsored Links
Unable to advise without seeing the property,

Contact SEVERAL decorators, Go to a Trade Decorators supply outlet, they normally have a board that decorators can put their advertising cards on .
that will give you a general idea of how the job will be costed.

Try and get friends/neighbours to recommend decorators that did work for them , word of mouth is better than sticking a pin in a local advertising magazine

Thanks, They're trying to get some more quotes arranged today.

Cheers
S

Sponsored Links
I presume 2k tops is sarcasm as thats cowboy rates.
As mentioned by Bosswhite get several quotes

Most of the rooms are tiny. For 5k I could replaster the entire house as well as paint it.

Worth getting prices from plumbers to remove/replace rads maybe powerflush and fill with inhibitor IF needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back