Painting Celing When There's Wallpaper On The Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our radiator developed a small leak the other night, and whilst it's all sorted now, I've noticed that we have a few water stains on the ceiling below the room where the trouble happened. That room had its ceiling last painted in around November 2005. So, I've a few questions...

1. Will we get away with covering the stained areas with a stain blocker and then white emulsion, or is it likely that you'll notice "whiter" areas on the ceiling? And if so...

2. What's the best way of painting a ceiling when you have nice wallpaper on the walls? Any time I've painted a celing before, I've painted the white into the corners, and a few inches onto the walls to ensure that the paint or wallpaper when applied to the walls won't expose any unpainted areas. This technique won't work too well when you have wallpaper on the walls, and I'm not sure I'd entrust masking tape to the wallpaper either.

Any ideas?

TIA
Phil

Sponsored Links
You should be ok with a stain block which you can get in areosols. If the stains are a bit larger or darker, i would use a thinned down oil based undercoat first and then coat with white emulsion. This should solve the problem. With cutting into the corners you could use a small artist brush or a "slant cut fitch" to start you off in the corners enough to be able to use a bigger brush to cut the rest in.

Thanks mate. D'ya reckon we'll not get away with patching the paint then? Will we just be left with a very noticeable patch of whiter paint on the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
For what its worth and having got the oil paint ready, i would do it all in oil paint first then the emulsion. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back