Asthma / dizziness after using Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Three weeks ago I started redecorating a bedroom.

I've removed the old wallpaper, cleaned the wall and sprayed Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 as a base coat on the previously unpainted plasterboard surface. I left the previously painted surfaces as is, just cleaned them with soapy water.

A week later, I applied two coats of Dulux Walls & Ceilings Matt on the entire walls and ceiling, again with a sprayer. I've done all work whilst wearing a respirator. After the job was done, the bedroom door was kept closed, and the window open.

Next day, I came to the bedroom to check the results. I immediately felt a bit dizzy, blood pressure raised, a bit of a scratchy throat and mild asthma symptoms (I've been asthmatic for years). I don't think this was a reaction to the paint as I've painted two rooms before with that one, also with a sprayer.

I removed the old carpet with blots of paint on it and then decided to give the bedroom a week more to ventilate with the window open. Then another week. That helped, but only slightly.

Also, now, three weeks after I applied Zinsser, I can smell the difference between the areas of the wall where it was sprayed and wasn't.

What are my options here, realistically? Remove the paint and the undercoat, with a sander, and repaint? Stick wallpaper on top? I must say I'm clueless as I didn't expect anything like this at all.

Sponsored Links
Ventilate it. The faster the vapours go, the sooner they will be gone.

I find paint fumes give me migraines, but only after I have been painting a room. They will mostly be gone a day after fully dry, and drop rapidly.

If fumes affect you, I would have thought spraying a poor choice.

It's been ventilating for three weeks. This is an ensuite, and I opened the windows in both the bedroom and a bathroom, to ensure strong airflow.

IMO it is the only option that will help.

You may still be able to smell it, but PPM of solvents will be hugely less.

Sponsored Links
With both windows open, and the bedroom door closed, you will get a poor draught through.
Either, open the bedroom door a bit, or put a desk/pedestal fan near the bedroom window to try and draw the air out. This should, hopefully, create a draw through of different air.

The draught is so strong it manages to open the bathroom cabinet and I had to place a heavy chair next to the ensuite door, otherwise the draught would shut it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back