Small damp section of wall in living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have been having some extensive building work and one of the final parts of this was to build (rebuild really) my porch on the front of my new extension. I noticed this evening that the lining paper on my living room wall has started to come away. When I felt the wall here inside the living room it seems to be very damp.

20240204_175008_resized.jpg

You can just about make out the lining paper peeling away here. The wall feels very damp from just above where the paper is beginning to peel off to the top of the skirting board. It doesn't seem to be a particuarly wide damp area (perhaps 15-20cm)

20240204_175020_resized.jpg

One of the external porch walls butts right up to the other side of the living room here and i'm wondering if it might be the damp rising up the new porch wall and soaking through to this living room wall. The pictures below show the exterior porch wall and where it joins the front of the house at 90 degrees (ignore the old PVCu door leaning against the wall!)

20240204_182710_resized.jpg

20240204_182720_resized.jpg

I think the damp bit of my living room wall is directly adjacent to the new porch wall where it joins the front of the house at 90 degrees. Is this likely? I'd have presumed a damp proof membrane or similar would stop the damp rising up. For info, there is a large drop at the front of the house - that airbrick despite looking a reasonable height, is actually below floor level in the house (the front door is 80cm above ground level shown in this photo). This makes it even more surprising to me that the damp has risen to this level inside the house but I suppose the wall behind the skirting board could also be wet, I just wouldn't know.

Can anyone give any advice as to whether this is likely to be causing damp and if there is any easy way to test this. The builders haven't been great tbh but i'd still expect that they would have used all the correct damp proof membranes etc. The brickie they use is an old boy who does a seriously neat job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back