Small jobs/roofers/cracked tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have two cracked double roman concrete tiles on my extension roof. The cracks are hairline.

I've tried on a few occasions this year to get them replaced but it has proved difficult to find anyone. Due to bad experiences in the past I am reluctant to just use anybody and have tried recommendations. The one person that did turn up quoted £180.00 to replace the tiles. I understand that he needs to make the job worthwhile, but that's a bit steep for two tiles. Other roofers say on the phone they will come a take a look but never do.

Maybe a handyman would be better, but then I have the worry he may break something.

So the tiles are still cracked and I've given up on this for this year and will try again in March. The roof doesn't leak, I've checked it multiple times during heavy rain. Seems silly to risk someone walking on it now, they may cause other damage.

The wife says, if it isn't leaking in then just forget about it, the father-in-law doesn't think any more than a few drops will be getting past the cracks. But I don't like the thought of them being cracked, seems wrong to me.

I suppose any water is just running down the felt into the gutter, the only worry is the laths but these are tanalised I assume.

I am thinking about doing it myself, so my question is how difficult is it to walk on a concrete tile roof without causing more damage? Access is difficult due to a conservatory, so I would have to put the ladders at the side of the roof and walk across nearly the whole length of the roof to get to the tiles. I am 11 stone in weight. The pitch is quite shallow, about 30 degrees.

Or is it just not worth the risk for two cracked tiles? Should I maybe just wait until the laths rot or something? Then it may be easier to get someone as the job will be bigger.

Or should I find something else to worry about!

Thanks

Bob

Sponsored Links
why not post a photo of the roof showin the location of the cracked tiles?

Hello,

I have two cracked double roman concrete tiles on my extension roof. The cracks are hairline.

I've tried on a few occasions this year to get them replaced but it has proved difficult to find anyone. Due to bad experiences in the past I am reluctant to just use anybody and have tried recommendations. The one person that did turn up quoted £180.00 to replace the tiles. I understand that he needs to make the job worthwhile, but that's a bit steep for two tiles. Other roofers say on the phone they will come a take a look but never do.

Maybe a handyman would be better, but then I have the worry he may break something.

So the tiles are still cracked and I've given up on this for this year and will try again in March. The roof doesn't leak, I've checked it multiple times during heavy rain. Seems silly to risk someone walking on it now, they may cause other damage.

The wife says, if it isn't leaking in then just forget about it, the father-in-law doesn't think any more than a few drops will be getting past the cracks. But I don't like the thought of them being cracked, seems wrong to me.

I suppose any water is just running down the felt into the gutter, the only worry is the laths but these are tanalised I assume.

I am thinking about doing it myself, so my question is how difficult is it to walk on a concrete tile roof without causing more damage? Access is difficult due to a conservatory, so I would have to put the ladders at the side of the roof and walk across nearly the whole length of the roof to get to the tiles. I am 11 stone in weight. The pitch is quite shallow, about 30 degrees.

Or is it just not worth the risk for two cracked tiles? Should I maybe just wait until the laths rot or something? Then it may be easier to get someone as the job will be bigger.

Or should I find something else to worry about!

Thanks

Bob

Yeah b****y " tradesmen. If the job isn't worth £20,000 they are not interested. I wanted 3 walls replastering in my spare bedroom after the roof leaked and ruined them. I emailed and rang six builders. Five didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge me., One turned up, looked at the job, said he would email me an estimate and that was the last I saw of him. I now do my own jobs, those that I can which is the vast majority because it seems to me that b****y "tradesmen can't be bothered.

Yeah b****y " tradesmen. If the job isn't worth £20,000 they are not interested. I wanted 3 walls replastering in my spare bedroom after the roof leaked and ruined them. I emailed and rang six builders. Five didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge me., One turned up, looked at the job, said he would email me an estimate and that was the last I saw of him. I now do my own jobs, those that I can which is the vast majority because it seems to me that b****y "tradesmen can't be bothered.

Or, weigh you up and decide to pass

Sponsored Links
Is the roof easily accessible? I swapped a couple of cracked ones for my neighbour. I pushed in some pieces of wood to lift up the next row then slotted the new ones in, it was much easier than I thought.

Although slower, 06C29FCF-2D39-496D-A3CC-2CE0ABA65FC2.jpeg Winbags give a nice controlled lift if one has some handy:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back