small nightlight for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into new property, bathroom has downlighters and time delay ex fan, it is pitch black during the night, and when I need to visit in the dark, I would like to avoid activating the fan for obvious reasons,
Is there anyway I can easily and legally install a small permanent light, something like a LCD? must stress it only needs to be very small, I am sure this problem must have arisen before, I would have thought a double switch missing out the fan could have been installed but I am looking for a way around it now, without invasive surgery, any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
If the bathroom lights are switched from a wall switch then you might want to try fitting a dimmer. Have seen this in several houses and if the dimmer is turned down before switch is turned on then the extract doesn't come on. It will probably depend on the type and model of the fan but it is worth trying. Take into consideration the total wattage of the downlights before selecting an appropriate dimmer. Another option is to fit a separate pullcord to operate the extract fan.

Lights are operated by pullswitch, but thanks for the suggestion.
Would like to avoid all the bright lights, wakes me up, hence the idea of just one small one.

If it just a small light you are after for night time, then I would get a small battery operated light.

In my old house I put on in the attic by the hatch. You can buy one at B&Q, Wilkinsons, Argos. Use rechargable batteries and it is very low running cost.

This will save doing any electrical work.

If you don't like this solution and want something permanent then you could get a three pole isolator fitted adjacent to the fan.

http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/shop.asp?pid=8998

as example of battery light

Sponsored Links
Disconnect time delay wire within fan. This is permanently live. Use for feed to LED (s). If you need to keep timer for some occasions, then put switch between LED and timer connection.
V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back