small sizes quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and hoping someone could give me some advise.
I have a job that I am starting next week where I have to lay quarry floor tiles. the tiles are 4" sq. :( and have to be laid in a L shape hallway at a 45 deg pattern with a border tile. The customer has a detailed plan and is having the floor latexed leveled for me. Would you seal the tiles first before laying, because I am a little concerned that the sealer will get on the grout lines, also would you still use the large size notch trowel or would you use a smaller size.
When applying the adhesive to the floor, would you also butter the back of the tiles as they are smooth. Last question, might sound silly.. do you need to seal the latex before laying the tiles.

Sponsored Links
Hi Transitboy,please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not having a pop but if you need to ask that many questions are you sure you should be doing that particular job?

How much tiling have you done before?

If the customer knows that you have little experience with quarry tiles then fine,but if things don't go well you may be held to account.

hi lancenotalot thanks for reply - I do general house maintenance, and although I have done numerous tiling jobs, they have all been porcilean and ceramic and as of yet not none have been quarry tiles and never that small a floor tile. so any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Would you seal the tiles first before laying, because I am a little concerned that the sealer will get on the grout lines

You can seal them if you wish,there are a lot of sealers on the market as you will see with a google search.
They are also sealed with linseed oil in some cases and other waxy type polish.

also would you still use the large size notch trowel or would you use a smaller size.

I would use 10mm so as to get a solid bed although some may advise 6mm,just keep the grout lines clean as you go.

When applying the adhesive to the floor, would you also butter the back of the tiles as they are smooth.

No need,may need to wipe the back with a wet sponge though as they will suck up moisture.
might sound silly.. do you need to seal the latex before laying the tiles

Tile straight onto it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back