Smart external light controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there a smart lighting controller on the market for controlling external lights?

Originally thought about just using tp-link smart bulbs but these are quite big and don’t fit properly in the lights.

I have Hive heating, are hive light bulbs smaller than tp-links?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it sensible to have expensive lamps ( tp link smart bulb ) outside, and would they survive the weather ?

Better to have ordinary lamps outside with cables to a controller inside the house.

Is it sensible to have expensive lamps ( tp link smart bulb ) outside, and would they survive the weather ?

Better to have ordinary lamps outside with cables to a controller inside the house.

Smart bulbs aren’t expensive. Much cheaper than running new cables to the house and having a controller in the house.

If they don’t survive, I’ve only lost £32. In which case I’ll revert to standard bulbs and just replace the switch with a photocell.

Sponsored Links
How do the lights get power at the moment ?. There must already be a cable from the lamp to a location where a controller can be installed.

There is a feed from the house to an RCD. From here a cable is run to a switch which then feeds 2 lights on a patio wall. Lights are across a patio and not on the house wall.

My original plan was to replace the switch with a nightmatic photocell but looks like these are rear entry for the cables. This isn’t an option really as the cables are surface mounted and would require bottom entry.

Assuming the RCD is located in a dry and safe location could the controller be fitted next to it. ?
It’s an external RCD in a weathproof box.

I’m going with smart bulbs. If these dont last I’ll just revert to non-smart operation.

I can only comment on what I have, I had a problem with central heating, and alarm control, so got Mihome Energenie eTRV, double socket, light switch, and controllable plug in energy monitor.

The main down side was only 3 programmable on/off times per device without using IFTTT, the three times could be selected by day of the week, so turn on 1 pm and off 5 pm w as selected all days but Wednesday and Saturday for example. But really I wanted 4 times, using IFTTT I could get extra time, but that relied on internet working.

It also worked with phone, tablet, and PC plus up to three remote controls. It had some options I did not use, for example it could be linked to a weather forecast, the light and sockets had one difference, light switch did not require a neutral.

With a power cut default is off, so I found even when I did not want to switch off, I needed an off/On to insure it switched back on with a power cut, the energy monitor plug in unit would not work with the remote controls, only with phone, tablet or PC.

The big complaint is the adverts tell you very little, it is a leap of faith, until the hub is registered and the device is paired to hub, you only know the bare essentials. And IFTTT changes every week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back