Smart meter confusion

I am not generally in favour of smart meters, however the idea of being able to monitor my father-in-laws usage so I can see he is using varying power likely to be a kettle would show he was alive and kicking and likely OK, and if only alteration likely referred to fridge or freezer, then we needed to phone, and if no answer visit, so there seemed a good idea in his case. However we never did get the info to be able to read usage so in real terms it did nothing. And he was very considerate, he came to our house to die, so we did not feel if only, we could have made a difference.

Sponsored Links
I am not generally in favour of smart meters, however the idea of being able to monitor my father-in-laws usage so I can see he is using varying power likely to be a kettle would show he was alive and kicking and likely OK...
Does a smart meter, per se, necessarily provide such functionality?

Even if it does, one certainly does not need a smart meter to do that. With my OWL monitor, I can look at my house's current instantaneous usage, or any usage during the past 3 months (at ~12 second intervals), separately for each phase, from anywhere in the world.

Kind Regards, John

Does a smart meter, per se, necessarily provide such functionality?

Even if it does, one certainly does not need a smart meter to do that. With my OWL monitor, I can look at my house's current instantaneous usage, or any usage during the past 3 months (at ~12 second intervals), separately for each phase, from anywhere in the world.

Kind Regards, John
Which nearly all references to "Smart" it means you can monitor and control it from your phone. So with my "Smart" thermostatic radiator valve heads, I can from anywhere in the world with phone coverage monitor and adjust the heat in each room, in fact they are smarter than that, they can be set so when the enabled phone/s are within a set distance you can have the heating auto turn up, although never used that function.

I would say there are safety issues if you or the supply company can turn the power on/off remotely. Even with battery backed lights, they will likely only last a few hours, so if power turned off while you sleep, you could be unable to see to safely exit the building. And as to on if you have something like a soldering iron switched on it could cause a fire while you are unaware.

To an individual item, at the moment I can turn my battery charger off remotely, and bedroom lights off or on, that's OK but whole house is rather dangerous, and clearly if my router is supplied from a remote control socket, I can turn it off, but not back on.

So monitoring the power for whole house great, but switching it no way, it would break BS7671:2008 which states:-
"314.1 Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to:
(i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault
(ii) facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance (see also Section 537)
(iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit
(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced
by equipment in normal operation
(v) mitigate the effects of electromagnetic interferences (EMI)
(vi) prevent the indirect energizing of a circuit intended to be isolated."
If you have a device which switches off remotely all circuits together unless to comply with
"132.9 Emergency control
Where in case of danger there is the necessity for immediate interruption of supply, an interrupting device shall be installed in such a way that it can be easily recognised and effectively and rapidly operated."
Then having a switching device would be contriving regulations. When a mistake is made and the electric authority knock on the wrong door to warn your power is going to be turned off, the mistake is easy to rectify. However when done remotely it could easy endanger lives.

Sponsored Links
Which nearly all references to "Smart" it means you can monitor and control it from your phone.
I'm not convinced that that's always (or commonly, or even ever!) the case (for monitoring) with smart meters - and, as for 'controlling', there surely is no way in which a consumer can 'control' a smart meter, by any means?
I would say there are safety issues if you or the supply company can turn the power on/off remotely.
Goodness knows whether we can trust what we're being told, but we are being told that all suppliers have agreed that they won't do that, even when it is technologically possible.

Kind Regards, John

How can a smart meter turn you off remotely, do they contain some form of switch

How can a smart meter turn you off remotely, do they contain some form of switch
Yep, they have a relay/contactor in them which can be operated remotely. However, as I wrote (and if one can believe them) suppliers have apparently indicated that (for safety reasons) they would/will not do that. It is, however. one of the aspects of smart meters which 'concerns' some people.

Kind Regards, John

Yes there maybe vunrable people in the house so they won’t cut you off remotely.

So no UK person should turn your house off.

Yep, they have a relay/contactor in them which can be operated remotely. However, as I wrote (and if one can believe them) suppliers have apparently indicated that (for safety reasons) they would/will not do that. It is, however. one of the aspects of smart meters which 'concerns' some people.

Kind Regards, John
Ok. how do you know whats inside.

Ok. how do you know whats inside.
A bit of Googling will find you lots of specifications and technical manuals for smart meters. For many of them, an "internal disconnect contactor" is an 'option', so one doesn't necessarily know whether ones installed by individual suppliers will contain them or not.

AS an example of a datasheet of one which has the 'disconnect contactor' as an 'option' look at this one - but if you want more detail, the technical manuals can be hundreds of pages long.

Kind Regards, John

This is the very worrying feature of the contactor feature

The main 100A contactor can be disconnected locally or remotely by the Utility. This can be driven directly or driven by the meter at load limiting
thresholds.

Unquote

I wouldnt't trust the "utility" to temporarily interrupt the supply so a consumer unit could be changed, either.....

This is the very worrying feature of the contactor feature .... Quote
The main 100A contactor can be disconnected locally or remotely by the Utility. This can be driven directly or driven by the meter at load limiting
thresholds.
Unquote
Indeed, as I said, this is definiely one of the concerns that some people have ... and not just individuals ... this is what Ofgem wrote about their concerns over 8 years ago (click here)

Kind Regards, John

Some quotes hide in the small print the fact that it includes agreement to have a Smart meter. You need to read all the T&C very carefully to spot tricks like this.

I don't understand that. One doesn't really have to read the small print, carefully or otherwise, to know that when they offer ".... (slightly) cheaper tariffs to those with smart meters" a condition of that is that one must have a smart meter in order to have such a tariff!!

Kind Regards, John
I guess clifford1 is referring to people who switch to a new energy supplier seeking a cheaper dual-fuel deal.

A number of energy companies offer tariffs that stipulate a tacit agreement to having smart-meters installed. This tacit agreement is not always readily apparent when the said energy companies Gas & leccy tariff’s are viewed on price comparison websites like MoneySavingExpert (CheapEnergyClub) et al.

People who unwittingly switch (and there have been many!) to one of these cheaper tariff ‘smart-meter’ deals can expect phone calls from the energy supplier to quickly arrange an installation date.

However, these new customers CANNOT be forced to accept smart-meters even though they’ve signed up for a ‘cheaper’ smart-meter tariff,... but constant refusal to accept a smart-meter installation date will probably mean that the energy company will eventually move the customer from the cheaper ‘smart-meter’ tariff to their standard variable (expensive!) tariff.

Customers can’t expect to remain on a cheap’ish smart-meter tariff whilst steadfastly refusing to have smart-meters fitted.

Energy companies are under extreme financial pressure to get us all switched over to smart-meters as quickly as possible and some of the tactics they employ are questionable,...to say the least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back