Smart meter confusion

Some years ago there was work done to produce a small generator powered by gas flowing along a pipe. If it ever worked then Smart gas Meters could trickle charge their batteries.
That, as I understand it, is how my (indoor) water meter works. It can be read 'remotely' (by 'wireless'), but the range is so short, that they have to park a van just outside my house to take a reading :) If it can be done with water flow, I imagine it can also be done with gas flow.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have a water meter like that.

My previous water meter did not have remote read, but an LCD display and a battery that lasted over 10 years

I have a water meter like that. My previous water meter did not have remote read, but an LCD display and a battery that lasted over 10 years
My previous (indoor) water meter had a couple of metres of cable connecting it to a 'remote display/repair' on the outside of the house, so that they did not have to gain access to my house to read it.

They then changed it for the current 'wireless' one - which, as I said, is really a joke, because all it saves them is having to walk up my drive - they still have to bring their van to just outside of my house!

Kind Regards, John

I'm please with mine, as I don't have to be in for them to read it (or txt them the reading if I was out)

Sponsored Links
I'm please with mine, as I don't have to be in for them to read it (or txt them the reading if I was out)
Indeed - but, as I said, that was also true of my previous one (a 'repeater' on the outside of the house, which they replaced quite quickly with the new-fangled ('wireless') one, which gained them very little!

Kind Regards, John

If my experience is anything to go by, in contrast with the past (when meters were left in service for many decades) it seems that the policy/practice of suppliers in moire recent times to undertake 'routine meter changes' a fair bit more frequently than every 10 years
With electronic ones I believe they do them more frequently - but still good for 10 years. I vaguely recall something like 20 years for Feraris disk meters.
However, we still do have this statement 'out there' that all suppliers have agreed not to use that facility - however much notice you want to pay to it!
Even if they stick to that in general, the mechanism is there - like the mechanism is there to generate million quid bills :whistle:

With electronic ones I believe they do them more frequently - but still good for 10 years. I vaguely recall something like 20 years for Feraris disk meters.
We inherited an already clearly pretty old electromechanical meter about 32 years ago, and that remained in service for at least the first 20 or so years we were here. In the subsequent 10-12 years, we're now onto our third electronic one (all the changes having been 'routine', not because of any problem with the meters..
Even if they stick to that in general, the mechanism is there...
Indeed, as you say, 'the mechanism is there'. However, in addition to the safety issues, it is fairly clear from what they have repeatedly written about this that Ofgem would not tolerate suppliers becoming more trigger-happy about disconnections just because it became much easier for them to do it. They stress that the rules/guidances for disconnections ('as a very last resort') will be no different with smart meters. Their attitude might change, but I frankly doubt it, particularly with media and 'interest groups' looking over their shoulders.

Kind Regards, John

My previous (indoor) water meter had a couple of metres of cable connecting it to a 'remote display/repair' on the outside of the house, so that they did not have to gain access to my house to read it.

They then changed it for the current 'wireless' one - which, as I said, is really a joke, because all it saves them is having to walk up my drive - they still have to bring their van to just outside of my house!

Kind Regards, John

I understand they can read the meters as they drive by. That must save them quite a bit in repeated visits because there is no one in. I have had one coming up to two years now - I dobt it has made much difference to our consumption, but it more than halved my annual water bill.

I understand they can read the meters as they drive by.
That might be possible, but they seem to always park outside my front gate to take the reading - maybe it's a good place for them to eat their sandwiches!
That must save them quite a bit in repeated visits because there is no one in.
As I said, even with my previous (non-wireless) one there was no risk of their having to make "repeated visits because there is no one in", because they installed a 'repeater' display on the outside of the building, so they did not have to get access into the house to read it.

Kind Regards, John

It could have been infinitely more useful, had the meters been designed to enable a customer to connect a PC to via their LAN, to grab data.
With the disclaimer that my information is a few years old, my understanding is that they have not designed them to make it difficult for anybody to connect to them via wi-fi.

The E.ON prices have certainly taken a big jump. Currently (until present deal ends in April), I'm paying 17.147p/7.844p for day/night units. Last week, they were offering me deals, for all of which the cost was 19.362p/9.083p and, as you have seen, by today it's become 21.284p/11.004p. Comparing with what I'm currently paying with what I'm now being offered, that's an increase of about 24% for day units and a horrendous 40% for night units (I've commented before that the night rate is gradually getting closer to day rate) - which seems a bit ridiculous.
Currently paying 12.05p/unit (single-rate tariff), £69pa standing charge.

The deal ends soon, so I need to get my skates on and decide whether to stick or twist.

The data collected is far in excess of what is needed - we've had multi-rate metering for decades with nothing but 2 or 3 registers and monthly/quarterly readings, there's zero need for half-hourly readings so why spend a fortune on the infrastructure to handle that ?
Because one of the goals is not half-hourly data collection, it is half-hourly price adjustments.

We inherited an already clearly pretty old electromechanical meter about 32 years ago, and that remained in service for at least the first 20 or so years we were here. In the subsequent 10-12 years, we're now onto our third electronic one (all the changes having been 'routine', not because of any problem with the meters..
Which goes half way to demonstrating the point - if they stick to thecreliable types (Feraris disk for lecky, bellows for gas) then the meters are quite rekiable and go on for years. With the electronic versions, it's obvious they they have a much shorter life - but 3 in 12 years is taking the urine :eek:

Because one of the goals is not half-hourly data collection, it is half-hourly price adjustments.
The latter does not require the former. All that is needed is one register (and reading) per charging rate used in any billing period.
Given the cost to us of collecting and storing this data - and keeping it secure - you have to wonder what thecreal reason is.

Currently paying 12.05p/unit (single-rate tariff), £69pa standing charge.
As I think I indicated before, if I were on a single-rate tariff with my current supplier, I'd currently be paying 14.39 p/unit (with a £59 pa Standing Charge). Given my almost 50:50 day:night ratio, with E7 I'm currently paying the equivalent of around 12.02 p/unit single-rate - so almost identical to you.
The deal ends soon, so I need to get my skates on and decide whether to stick or twist.
Same here - I've got until mid April. Given the competitive nature of the market, I wonder if these people are amenable to negotiation?!

Last edited:
Which goes half way to demonstrating the point - if they stick to thecreliable types (Feraris disk for lecky, bellows for gas) then the meters are quite rekiable and go on for years. With the electronic versions, it's obvious they they have a much shorter life - but 3 in 12 years is taking the urine :eek:
True, but that clock is never going to get turned back. However, I'd say that it also goes more than half way to demonstrating the point I was making - that if they are changing non-smart meters at anything like the rate I've experienced, then the marginal additional cost of installing smart meters ought to be pretty low (and only a small fraction of £11 billion).

[by the way, "3 in 12 years" makes it sound a bit more than it actually is. As I said, I' 'on my third' in those ~12 years, but the last of those was installed last year, so it's likely equivalent to something like "3 in 17 years" or thereabouts. ]
The latter does not require the former. All that is needed is one register (and reading) per charging rate used in any billing period. Given the cost to us of collecting and storing this data - and keeping it secure - you have to wonder what thecreal reason is.
I've never really understood the point in smart meters having multiple registers (or, indeed, if the communication were faultless, any registers at all!!). If they simply uploaded usage and time data, they could play around 'centrally' with how much they were charging for usage during any particular time window. ....

... even my OWL system has an 48+ hour local buffer (and that's with ~12 second readings - so roughly 17,000 data points per phase per day) - so if I lose communication (in my case, the internet connection) for a hours, or even a day or two, no data is lost to the server.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back