Smart Meter Install - fit new isolator before?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having a SMET2 smart meter fitted at the start of December. The existing Siemens meter has a built in rotary isolator and I'm keen to ensure I can continue to isolate the CU after the install. I've heard about people buying a suitable isolater and offering beer tokens for the installer to fit it but what if he/she says no? I'm then stuck.

I consider myself a competent DIY'er that has done a fair bit of basic electrical work - fused spurs, nest install, external sockets etc. With the existing isolator switched off, and multiple tests to ensure it really is off, is there any problem with me fitting the new external isolator? I would fit a Wylex 100A from Screwfix/Toolstation.

My only real concern is the existing isolator appears to be single pole.

Iso 1.jpg isolator.jpg

Sponsored Links
Buy the isolator and ask meter fitter to fit it. only 3 possible answers:
1/ Yes.
2/ No.
3/ I'm not permitted to fit yours but I can fit one from the van.

2 out of 3 aint bad.

If the answer is No he may let you fit it while the power is off.

2½ out of 3 is better than 2.

Good luck.

Buy the isolator and ask meter fitter to fit it. only 3 possible answers:
1/ Yes.
2/ No.
3/ I'm not permitted to fit yours but I can fit one from the van.
From personal experience, and what I've heard from others, I think that (3), or a variant thereof, is by far the most likely.

Unfortunately, the variant of (3) that I've most often heard is "I'm not permitted to fit yours but I could fit one from the van, but unfortunately I don't have one in my van today", often followed by "... it's a pity you did not make this request before I came" - and that suggests what is probably the course most likely to work.

Kind Regards, John

You still have time to cancel the smart meter install. They are for the benefit of the electricity suppliers not you. Plenty of threads on these forums explaining why you should not have one. By the way they are NOT free, they do NOT save you money. We all pay for them through increased bills.

Going back to your question you cannot fit the isolator yourself as you would be working on a live feed.

Sponsored Links
... By the way they are NOT free ... We all pay for them through increased bills.
... which is why some argue that, if one is going to have to pay for one anyway, one might as well have one.
Going back to your question you cannot fit the isolator yourself as you would be working on a live feed.
Not if, as I think the OP was implying, it were done at the appropriate point in time during the meter change.

For everyone that is installed we all pay a little more.
That is probably true but, as EFLI has said, we are approaching the stage at which it will probably (literally or effectively) be 'compulsory', when everyone will be paying for everyone having one - so the most that 'decliners' can achieve is a little delaying of 'the inevitable'.

Thanks All for the replies.

John, I will ask if they intend to fit an isolator as part of the install - this is my preferred option

Winston, I realise that we all pay for the smart meters but I'll still pay for others even if I don't have one. I also realise it won't save me money but it shouldn't cost me money either. I'm not too worried about being cut off although I am slightly concerned about the possibility of a faulty meter. The main benefit I see is not having to nip outside once a month to take photos of the meter to then upload via a website - first world problems.

Colin, that is what I was getting at. I already have an isolator in my meter. If I use this to isolate the supply, can I fit the new isolator between the existing meter and the CU before the installation of the smart meter? It seems I could as it wouldn't then be live. My concern was the single pole isolator - i've read that there can still be a problem with having the neutral connected. I'm not sure why a single pole isolator would have been added to the original meter if it didn't adequately 'isolate' the supply?

I already have an isolator in my meter. If I use this to isolate the supply, can I fit the new isolator between the existing meter and the CU before the installation of the smart meter? It seems I could as it wouldn't then be live. My concern was the single pole isolator - i've read that there can still be a problem with having the neutral connected. I'm not sure why a single pole isolator would have been added to the original meter if it didn't adequately 'isolate' the supply?
Provided that (as you said you would) you are very careful to robustly 'test for dead' before you touch anything (after the meter's isolator has been switched off), if you are comfortable to do it (and confident that you can do it 'competently'), then I see no reason why you should not do as you suggest - even if such an idea might upset some people here!

Kind Regards, John

I know what I would do - and I've done worse! (with extreme care).
Same here - in fact, 'far worse', in the relatively distant past, but there's absolutely no way in which I am going to discuss that here :)

Kind Regards, John

Quick update. Just spoke to Octopus and the installation of an isolator has been added to the job sheet for smart meter install on Monday. Will post back once done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back