Smart meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the 'Smart meter' isn't actually to save us money on our current (!) usage, as such... But will allow providers to charge different rates for different periods during the day / week.
I'll bet it means an overall instant step change increase in consumer costs.

I wonder if this is how people perceive the smart meter concept?

Think the worst I guess... Brown the obfuscator now losing his opacity by the hour !

A bit on the elderly side but here's some Canadian info'.
Smart-M.jpg

Up to date version :-
http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/siteShared/smart_meters.asp?sid=ic

PS. Hope they will not require to steal too much of my broad-bandwidth... I guess here may lie the reason for nationwide broadband web access being a Govn aim.
-0-

Sponsored Links
the impetus is to get a whole nation to wear Bermuda shorts after 10pm
then the government increases sales tax on shorts

Just compared leccy rates.
9.3 ¢/kWh equates to GB£0.06 / kWh - that is their highest rate !!
Best of the standard rates in our area is £0.12, Double what the Canuks pay... Shorts or no 'kin shorts.

out of interest, what are the main differences in energy source, for generating power, between the two nations?

Sponsored Links
we import most of our oil, they have loads of it and don't care about the environment.. ;)

I don't see much difference between those numbers and Economy 7 ( etc )

you get cheap leccy at off peak times and more expensive at peak times..

for the average joe, during the week you're at work during the highest cost and on the average cost when you get home..

i meant between us and canada! ;)

for clarity i should have typed 'between U.S. and Canada'

Our version will have the ability to limit the supply, or even cut it off.

Pretty handy for when we have power shortages due to lack of generation..

Here in Peterborough (UK), you can borrow a device for free from the library to clip on the meter and measure your usage.
This is a much more sensible approach with a few devices servicing a whole city.

I've no problem in encouraging more off peak usage to protect crumbling infrastructure.

However, the pricing is wrong in my opinion.
I'd like to see a cheap rate for the absolute minimum units that a super-efficient home of your council tax band needs to operate.
Then the price per unit would rise in an exponential curve.

That way everyone would be encouraged to be efficient, the poor wouldn't be discriminated against and the idiots with more money than sense leaving lights on all day and all night etc would be stung.

I got given one by Birish Gas.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQiqhADR8aA&feature=related

They make you paranoid, moving into the girlfriends house soon but at the moment im in a 1991 Wimpey 2 bed semi, most of the estate was electric but quite alot have converted to gas, my house is still mostly electric, storage heaters and imersion heater.

British gas estimates a single person should use 8.5Kw a day average, the other day i had 1 storage heater on and the imersion heater on over night (economy 7), in the morning i came downstairs to find i'd already used half my daily total and at the end of the day i had used 34Kw, wtf!

Now i shiver all day, boil 1 kettle, sit in darkness, dont use the washing machine and have a sponge wash lol :(

your kettle useage would appear to be excessive and extravagant.

Sponsored Links
Back