1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Smart sensor for baby gate

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by dstill, 20 May 2019.

1. dstill

dstill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, does anyone know of a smart sensor that I can attach to a baby gate please? I would like to fit a sensor so I know if the gate is closed or open without having to go and physically look at it.

Thanks in advance.

2. wwwebber

wwwebber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wont a door or window sensor do the job ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dstill

dstill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought of that but the ones I've seen are either too bulky or sound an alarm when they are open which I don't want when the baby is asleep.

4. wwwebber

wwwebber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hive door sensors are quite small and you are notified via phone app. You need a Hive Hub though so could be costly unless you plan on upgrading your heating etc too

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    so I know if the gate is closed and locked or open.

With children comes the liability to ensure they are safe. Unless you live in a massive mansion the walk to check that the gate(s) are securely shut would not be a long one for an able bodied person.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sparkymarka

sparkymarka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As above a contact may tell you the gate is closed but not physically locked ...

7. dstill

dstill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have my reasons which I won't be going into as I don't want to bore anyone with too much, however the gate is so designed when it is shut it is locked, it was an expensive high quality gate as my son's safety is paramount hence why I'm posting on here to make things even safer for him! Thanks for your input anyway.

Last edited: 20 May 2019
  8. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps you can learn how to program an Arduino and use a magnetic catch on both the door and lock ?

ISTR that there are wireless modules for it and they are very inexpensive.
    :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We had an alarm to tell us when mother was on the move, so she would not walk outside without us knowing, clearly health and safety did not want to lock her in the house.

However the problem was alarm unit upstairs to alert us if she wandered at night, so some one knocking the door, required us to run upstairs to turn alarm off first.

We tried many ways to be able to switch off alarm remotely, timers and remote controlled sockets, in the end used a smart socket that combined times and remote controls, however it was expensive. But unlike children with second childhood one can't teach the person to behave better.

My children soon learnt that they could get up the stairs by squeezing between the open plan treads, we realised it was safer to teach them how to use stairs than to simply try and stop them. The time scale between dangerous for child on stairs to safe for them to use is quite short, so never went to great lengths, and grandchildren were not in house long enough to learn how to get around the gate.

So yes you can fit an alarm, but question is if worth it? Some times education is better than physical barriers, including showing people how to close a gate.

10. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What you need is good parenting skills and common sense.