smart switch no neutral (but I have one)!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

So the wife got me 3 smart switches for Xmas...

I have just opened them and they do not require a neutral.... BUT I have a neutral so what do I do with it? Just wago it? I have no idea.

Maybe these are not suitable?

Hope someone can help

Sponsored Links
Are you sure ? Where are the neutrals currently terminated at your switch positions ?

Are you sure ? Where are the neutrals currently terminated at your switch positions ?

Ahhh maybe I am wrong here.... I didnt look again I remember my landing switch (which is linked to downstairs hall) used a blue cable but I think there was a different colour sleeve added. Thats my confusion. I will have a go tomorrow. I think I have made a mistake and am worrying for nothing :)

Probably . Blue cable with a short brown sleeve is a live conductor.
Most light switches ( but not all) only have live conductors connected to the switch.
Show some pics for confirmation.

Sponsored Links
We tend to switch the line and neutral with out side lights, in the main as possible to get water in them, and we don't want a neutral earth fault stopping you using other lights on the same circuit. Some times we have a neutral at the switch for in door lights, but rare to switch it, having a neutral at the electronic lights switch reduces the chance of the light flashing when switched off, electronic light switches without a neutral tend to have a minimum lamp size of 5 watts. Even when total is over 5 watts, small physical size bulbs are often missing the by-pass resistor and smoothing capacitor and can flash when off, and shimmer when on.

My switches work fine with BA22d bulbs and E14 bulbs, but some times get shimmer with GU10 bulbs, and my G9 bulbs were a nightmare. With the G9 the load capacitor stopped the flashing when off, but had to fit 6 watt LED bulbs in a package as big as the E14 candle bulbs before I stopped the shimmer, as to if capacitor still needed I don't know. Before finding the larger bulbs I cured it by using one tungsten bulb.

Hope it works out OK for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back