Smart Switch with Neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lights.jpg

I have 6 switches in a grid all of them right next to a consumer unit in our factory that control all the lights in that floor. They are all single switches that each controls one zone in that floor.

I want to swap these with single smart switches that require a neutral.
Can I run one neutral wire from the CU to the first switch and then connect from that switch to the next and so forth or do I have to run individual neutral wires to each neutral terminal on the switches from the CU?

Sponsored Links
Assuming these are regular lights and within the amp limits of the circuit, you can daisy chain the N. There is a risk that a fault will impact any down the chain. So running them into a choc block and then out to each unit might be easier.

Sponsored Links
image.jpg

is there a surface mount equivalent to the above 6 individual single gang boxes ( not as a grid ) I have seen BG are doing a flush version but have not seen a surface mount version.

As @bernardgreen says for an electrician working in a factory one would not expect there is a need to ask can I run a neutral wire.

I will accept that often a factory electrician is not up to date with BS 7671 he is more interested in programming PLC's and ensuring safety switches etc are working as required.

This includes things like lighting escape routes and ensuring lights can't be switched off causing a danger. I know I had to change light controls due to some one thinking it was funny to turn off the lights when some one was still on the factory floor.

Installation is very different to maintenance, but there is a question as to authorising work, or even requesting work, my old company had a huge claim on their insurance due to asking an electrician to do mechanical work, which went wrong.

When changing any system first we do a risk assessment, then a method statement, and we need to skill to do that risk assessment, so there is a huge difference between a fitter helping and electrician or an electrician helping a fitter, and for the electrician or fitter to do work on an allied trades equipment on their own.

I know it is hard, with the case I am talking about the electrician refused the work, and the foreman said there is no one else you must do it, so the company was at fault as work had been refused and the foreman (who was asked to resign) over rode the electrician, and so the company had to pay out. Had the electrician not refused the work over a site radio where many people heard it, the out come could have been very different.

The contract said one had to do any work the foreman considered you were able to do, I think this was really so he could tell a tradesman to brush up his mess, not do another tradesman's work. But I know first hand how hard it is to refuse work, however do ensure you can show you raised objections before doing any work your not happy with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back