Need extra neutral bar for CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add a an extra neutral connection inside the CU for changing the light switches into smart ones.
Are they any attachments you recommend to add inside the CU to extend the neutral bar as I have just run out.

Sponsored Links
Why would a "smart" switch require a different Neutral instead of the Neutral that comes from the RCD that supplies the Live to the "smart". switches"

I also can't work out why you need extra, one terminal is normally limited to three wires be that the MCB, RCBO, Neutral bar or earth bar, and in the main there are Neutral and Earth terminals to match the number of MCB's or RCBO's although the latter clearly the neutral comes from the RCBO.

Consumer unit is a type tested unit so we are only permitted to fit in it items recommended by the manufacturer or it would make it into a distribution unit not a consumer unit, I know when in the control of an ordinary person we should only use type tested devices, however I don't know where this is stated, it may be HSE, or Building regs, type testing is refereed to for Class II equipment but very little else in the BS7671, so I am unaware where it says we must use type tested distribution units for domestic.

In commercial I have made up many panels, in the main using DIN rail, and terminals like these 1653983358711.pnghave link bars to connect them together and form a terminal block. Although could be used in some CU's it would take up space normally used for MCB's or RCBO's so not a normal practice.

Sponsored Links
Are they any attachments you recommend to add inside the CU to extend the neutral bar as I have just run out.
Either a larger neutral bar or an additional one. The new or replacement neutral bar must be obtained from the manufacturer of the consumer unit, and be designed to fit into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back