Smart tv buffering. All others ok on splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have six tv’s all connected to a booster/splitter. One tv has poor channel signal and buffers.

where is the best place to start investigating? I have relaxed the lead from socket to tv but no joy.

Sponsored Links
i would try a different TV on that cable and see if its the TV or cable
Check all the connections - where is the booster, whats the make and model - is it just one cable (co-axial) from the booster into the TV that buffers OR is is it broken
BUT you say Buffers ?? is this using catchup TV via the internet ?
you say SMART TV , how is it connected to the internet, via a wifi signal
OR
is this normal Freeview TV from an aerial - I'm not an expert , but live TV with a poor signal normally the picture breaks up or depending on the receiving shows a poor aerial connection, does not usually BUFFER

Buffer with a spinning disk, is usually internet issues
I never had Virgin cable, so no idea what that would do or if you can boost and split that signal

i would try a different TV on that cable and see if its the TV or cable
Check all the connections - where is the booster - is it just one cable from the booster into the TV that buffers OR is is it broken
BUT you say Buffers ?? is this using catchup TV via the internet ?
OR
is this normal Freeview TV from an aerial - I'm not an expert , but live TV with a poor signal normally the picture breaks up or depending on the receiving shows a poor aerial connection

Buffer with a spinning disk, is usually internet issues
I never had Virgin cable, so no idea what that would do or if you can boost and split that signal

Apologies it’s the freeview signal is pixelating. System is tv aerial on roof to booster/splitter box. All other tv’s are fine.

Sponsored Links
@eta's advice is good.

Where you've run your own cable then we shouldn't really need to worry about the poorer shielding of old analogue-era coax. Next is the quality of the ancillaries such as the wall plates if in use.

Good quality shielded wall plates have a metal housing that covers the signal cable connections. Poorer-quality unshielded ones, (and often sold at inflated prices online) have a simpler clamping mechanism that leaves the cable ends exposed. Where there's a source of interference such as a bad switch-mode power supply then the unshielded wall plate can be a real weak link.

Coax fly leads are another common backdoor for interference. I'm talking about the moulded ones sold by the likes of supermarkets, Argos, the DIY sheds etc. Again though, where you've run your own cable then you should also have made up your own fly leads too. As long as the plug ends are fitted well-enough then these shouldn't be an issue.

Presuming you've checked all the plug end fittings, and no one has banged a nail through your cables or crushed/trampled/kinked or cut a cable, then what remains is the the amplified splitter.

Does yours have a socket marked something such as FULL or FULL OUTPUT?

If so, and you're using that one to connect to the TV that has issues, then that could be the problem. The TV might be getting too much signal. With digital signals, this can create what looks like the same issue as low signal strength/quality. What happens is that when the signal is too strong it overloads the tuner and it looks like the Quality measure goes down. The fix for this would be to use an attenuator to reduce the signal power going to the affected TV.

I don't know if this is the situation in your case. We are not onsite to see things first hand, so all we have is the info you've given us. This then is a process of elimination based on dealing with the most likely causes first. It's a troubleshooting process when working largely in the dark. I hope you understand?

Once we rule out all the above, then the next stage is to do some signal connection swapping. Go up to the amplified splitter. Swap the feed to the affected TV with one to a TV that is known to be good. Check if the problem stays on the same TV or if it moves to the other telly.

Where the problem stays, then it's a cabling issue or a problem with the TV tuner itself. Where the problem moves, then it's most likely an issue with the amplified splitter.

Try the things suggested and then come back to us with an update.

As always, if this or any other answer helped, please click the THANKS button on those posts to show your appreciation. It costs you nowt to do and is quicker than typing a post with the words "thanks" (y)

Thanks for all the info

I will check the booster. It’s an SLX one if that helps?

this is the socket plate...
6324943E-2B2C-4261-BAE2-2B1FAFF1279F.jpeg

I swapped the cables over at the slx but made no difference. It’s either the tv, the cable, the connectors or the socket. Or interference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back