Smart tv buffering. All others ok on splitter

what about the other 5 ? and small portable you could connect up to that socket
did you make the fly lead from the socket to the TV ?
Do all TV's have a socket plate ?
I would fix that tag anyway and make sure its a good connection to the brad and the main centre is connected OK
do you have a multimeter

Sponsored Links
what about the other 5 ? and small portable you could connect up to that socket
did you make the fly lead from the socket to the TV ?
Do all TV's have a socket plate ?
I would fix that tag anyway and make sure its a good connection to the brad and the main centre is connected OK
do you have a multimeter

no portables. All biggish tv’s

I will need to but sock connectors to make a lead up. All tv’s have a socket plate.
I have a multimeter

i would make sure that brad is fixed into the lug correctly, and connecting to the outer part of the PLUG socket, and with the multimeter you can check continuity and measure the ohms and also make sure there is not a tiny bit touching the centre conductor.
I would then check continuity from the back of the socket , to your TV fly lead connector to the TV.
Disconnect at the SLx and then you can short out at the TV flylead plug and measure the resistance for the whole lead, wont tell you if the cable been squashed , but at least you will know if a good connection through out the leads.

Also on the TV you should be able to lookup the channels and MUX and get a Signal Strength & more importantly Signal Quality
You can use the postcode in that website to identify the transmitter and then you can see what TV/Radio channels are on what MUX

You Know the SLx is OK as you swapped and made Outputs and so no difference

But Good conductor connections is important , and the plug does fit well into the plate socket ?
again you can check that with the meter

i would make sure that brad is fixed into the lug correctly, and connecting to the outer part of the PLUG socket, and with the multimeter you can check continuity and measure the ohms and also make sure there is not a tiny bit touching the centre conductor.
I would then check continuity from the back of the socket , to your TV fly lead connector to the TV.
Disconnect at the SLx and then you can short out at the TV flylead plug and measure the resistance for the whole lead, wont tell you if the cable been squashed , but at least you will know if a good connection through out the leads.

Also on the TV you should be able to lookup the channels and MUX and get a Signal Strength & more importantly Signal Quality
You can use the postcode in that website to identify the transmitter and then you can see what TV/Radio channels are on what MUX

You Know the SLx is OK as you swapped and made Outputs and so no difference

But Good conductor connections is important , and the plug does fit well into the plate socket ?
again you can check that with the meter

thanks

will do some checks with the meter.

sky news seems better since checking that braid in the socket.
Is that socket the standard type or is there a better version to use?

Sponsored Links
I'm just a Diyer, but did train in Electronic Engineering, I have fitted for a few people & myself in the past and usually looked for Electrical parts I would often choose MK or Crabtree.
use a multimeter to check the connection , although not 100% as you need to measure the signal if its not low or changes if wiggle then thats no good. on a short length of cable i would expect close to 0 zero, make sure you check putting the probes together first to check the multimeter, if analogue then you can ZERO the meter

sky news seems better since checking that braid in the socket.

Seems likely issue then

On the TV do you get a signal strength & Quality and compare with one of the working TV's

Once you have got a good brad connection, I would also retune the TV again

I'm just a Diyer, but did train in Electronic Engineering, I have fitted for a few people & myself in the past and usually looked for Electrical parts I would often choose MK or Crabtree.
use a multimeter to check the connection , although not 100% as you need to measure the signal if its not low or changes if wiggle then thats no good

Seems likely issue then

On the TV do you get a signal strength & Quality and compare with one of the working TV's

Once you have got a good brad connection, I would also retune the TV again

Thanks

it’s strange as ai get no picture issued on the other tv in the lounge and the signal bar is a lot weaker than the one in question.

Its not the strength of the signal it is the quality signal thats important - check that measurement
do you get both a Signal Strength and Signal Quality measurement

On i TV I have low signal but high quality
Varies on differnt MUX
CH24 498MHz (Ch1 - BBC1) is 100% for both

BUT
CH28 530MHz (Ch23 - DAVE ja Vu) is strength is 60% , but quality is 100%

Last edited:
Its not the strength of the signal it is the quality signal thats important - check that measurement
do you get both a Signal Strength and Signal Quality measurement

On i TV I have low signal but high quality
Varies on differnt MUX
CH24 498MHz (Ch1 - BBC1) is 100% for both

BUT
CH28 530MHz (Ch23 - DAVE ja Vu) is strength is 60% , but quality is 100%
B947CD72-D793-402D-860A-E45CB5EB350D.jpeg

is that pixelating now
100% Quality
But you need to check all the MUX for quality as i say use the freeview site for your transmitter
I'm using the rowbridge transmitter and you can see the MUX and the channels
So if you find your transmitter and then look at a channel for each group and check the quality on those

Thanks for all the info

I will check the booster. It’s an SLX one if that helps?

this is the socket plate...View attachment 214972

That's an unshielded wall plate. You can tell it's unshielded because it's possible to see the coax inner core and a lot of the braid.

It could be installed a lot better too, and that might help reduce some of the signal problems to that TV. Here are a couple of examples of how the cable could be better prepped.

In this image the braid and foil are trimmed but left sitting over the inner insulation (dielectric). This is going to suit a wall plate where the cable clamp has a small radius suitable for thinner cables than our RG6-sized coax.

coax prep 1.jpg

In this this next image braid is folded back over the outer insulation. This makes the clamp point a larger diameter.

coax prep 2.jpg

Both methods are equally effective from the point of view of making an electrical contact for the ground connection. Choose whichever method produced the least cable distortion as the clamp is screwed down.

The inner core should be on a straight path from the shield clamp to the core screw clamp rather than bent back on itself as shown in your image. Trim back any excess core length and braid tails. Make sure no loose filaments of braid short between the shielding and the core.

Also, if you want to show your thanks properly, hit the THANKS button on any posts you found useful. The button appears when you hover your mouse over the QUOTE button. Cheers.

That's an unshielded wall plate. You can tell it's unshielded because it's possible to see the coax inner core and a lot of the braid.

It could be installed a lot better too, and that might help reduce some of the signal problems to that TV. Here are a couple of examples of how the cable could be better prepped.

In this image the braid and foil are trimmed but left sitting over the inner insulation (dielectric). This is going to suit a wall plate where the cable clamp has a small radius suitable for thinner cables than our RG6-sized coax.

View attachment 215054

In this this next image braid is folded back over the outer insulation. This makes the clamp point a larger diameter.

View attachment 215055

Both methods are equally effective from the point of view of making an electrical contact for the ground connection. Choose whichever method produced the least cable distortion as the clamp is screwed down.

The inner core should be on a straight path from the shield clamp to the core screw clamp rather than bent back on itself as shown in your image. Trim back any excess core length and braid tails. Make sure no loose filaments of braid short between the shielding and the core.

Also, if you want to show your thanks properly, hit the THANKS button on any posts you found useful. The button appears when you hover your mouse over the QUOTE button. Cheers.

Thanks for the info and thanks applied.

Over and out.

Did you get any further with this?

@eta's idea of doing the meter check is useful. It will give you an idea if the cable is broken or shorted somewhere along its length. Do the continuity test with one end shorted to look for a break in the cable. Then repeat the same test but with both ends of the cable open circuit. This will tell you if there's a short somewhere.

Do a double check on your plug ends, even if they look okay from the outside. It's rare, but I have had it where the outer sheath has stretched which results in the centre core and dielectric getting pulled away from the centre pin connection. Usually it's with cheap RG6 - the sort with the aluminium braid wire and copper coated steel core (CCS) - they use inferior grade PVC or it isn't bonded tightly-enough to the braid and dielectric core.

Some would say that soldering the centre pin would solve this, and they'd be correct. But the fact that an installer or home DIYer is using cheap coax in the first place kind of tells you where their priorities lie; they're not going to take the time and trouble to do this when the rest of the job screams cheap/quick. It's a basic contradiction of intent.

According to the info you posted from the screen shot you're on the Gloucester Lark Stoke transmitter. Is that correct? If so, then there are 6 muxes all transmitting at around 2,500W I think. The point here is that there's no variation on power between the muxes, and so any big variation in reception strength is more likely to be down to the aerial and distribution system and its cables and connections.

Last edited:
Did you get any further with this?

@eta's idea of doing the meter check is useful. It will give you an idea if the cable is broken or shorted somewhere along its length. Do the continuity test with one end shorted to look for a break in the cable. Then repeat the same test but with both ends of the cable open circuit. This will tell you if there's a short somewhere.

Do a double check on your plug ends, even if they look okay from the outside. It's rare, but I have had it where the outer sheath has stretched which results in the centre core and dielectric getting pulled away from the centre pin connection. Usually it's with cheap RG6 - the sort with the aluminium braid wire and copper coated steel core (CCS) - they use inferior grade PVC or it isn't bonded tightly-enough to the braid and dielectric core.

Some would say that soldering the centre pin would solve this, and they'd be correct. But the fact that an installer or home DIYer is using cheap coax in the first place kind of tells you where their priorities lie; they're not going to take the time and trouble to do this when the rest of the job screams cheap/quick. It's a basic contradiction of intent.

According to the info you posted from the screen shot you're on the Gloucester Lark Stoke transmitter. Is that correct? If so, then there are 6 muxes all transmitting at around 2,500W I think. The point here is that there's no variation on power between the muxes, and so any big variation in reception strength is more likely to be down to the aerial and distribution system and its cables and connections.

I checked the cable and there looks like a short. I have remade the cable end at the booster. It’s worse. I have a bit error of 2000 now.

Ok not a short on the cable but the socket was shorting so remade that again.

remade the other end plug again and so far so good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back