Smart tv buffering. All others ok on splitter

Sponsored Links
did you sort out the short in the cable
Did you use a multimeter on the connections?

yeah I disconnected the cable from the booster end and the socket end and tested for a short and it was clear.
Put it back together and it was working fine but then today it started the poor signal again.

Sponsored Links

Thinking this may apply to my problem so would you please have a link to an attenuator that you`ve used before and would it matter where it is fitted?

Toolstation has branches throughout the UK. They sell the PROception 1~20dB variable attenuator. Being adjustable means you can dial in the appropriate level of signal reduction.

Its just a fiver too, so not expensive.

https://www.toolstation.com/proception-variable-attenuator/p86843

You'll notice from the picture if you follow the website link that it has the screw-on satellite-type F connectors. That might phase some folks because its not a standard aerial-type connector, but depending on where you'll fit it, this could work out to your advantage.

For any point in your system, be it before the aerial distribution system, or before a TV recorder, or just simply before the final connection to a TV, you can cut the coax and fit F plugs really quite easily. The attenuator then fits in line.

If you prefer, a quick Google search should result on finding versions with standard female and male TV coax connections.

Where to fit:
If it's only a problem with one TV then apply the signal reduction just be the aerial socket on the set.

For issues affecting several TVs, apply the attenuator on the aerial feed before it goes in to any aerial distribution amp.

Some TV recorders boost the strength of the aerial signal from the RF loop-through. The recorder might be fine but the TV overloaded if the strength was already close to maximum before adding the recorder. In theatres case either fit it between the recorder and TV, or before the recorder.

All of this presumes that you have standard sized RG6/WF100 aerial coax at roughly 6.5mm diameter. Where you're using one of those TV aerial cable extension kits sold by supermarkets, DIY sheds, Argos etc then I would ditch that first and replace with good coax before experimenting with attenuation.

If you would like to show your appreciation, please hit the THANKS button on any posts you found useful. The button appears when you hover your mouse over the QUOTE button.

Nice one Lucid, I`ll return with an update but might be a while as I sent the TV back to be checked out under warranty.

yeah I disconnected the cable from the booster end and the socket end and tested for a short and it was clear.
Put it back together and it was working fine but then today it started the poor signal again.

Digital signals have very abrupt cut-off points. Where the signal is marginal for some reason, then it only takes a very minor change to make or break the TV picture.

You've done the troubleshooting and ruled out a fault with the amplified splitter and the continuity of the coax cable itself (excluding the plug ends). What remains then is either related to your reception locally, or it's damage to the cable such as crushing of a kink, or the fitting of the plug ends themselves, or a TV fault.

Swap the TV for a known good one to see if that's the same. Buy a long length of coax and feed the TV from a know good socket. Try making the plug ends again.

Other than that, there's not really much more we can do based on the info you have supplied so far. Its time then to get a local aerial guy in to sort the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back