Smart Visifold 1000 Bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for feedback from installers ideally I suppose, on Smart Systems Visifold 1000 bi folds. Extension opening 3640mm x2090mm (so sizing 10mm under), want a traffic door, toyed with 3 door version but near 1.2m a door seems huge (anyone fitted and/or can comment?) So think 4 door probably better choice with traffic on left.

Going to fit straight on to DPC, engineer blocks. Inner screed when installed maybe 25-30mm up on this so was thinking about the DV176 integrated cill as height is 50mm lower than std Cill with DV14 frame? I think however the DV17 frame is different? Ideally any feedback on whether this is a good choice and what to consider about it?

DV26 is rounded profile, assume thats more popular than square DV23? Less prone to knocks maybe?

The quote I have for 4 door has a traffic door opening out and a shoot bolt on the leaf next to it. I'd seen a youtube vid of smart 4 door with handles on both, is that a definable option or been dropped as a choice? Think it was Midland Bi folds video.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sponsored Links
I have these doors in my house but 5x 1.2m with the traffic opening on the the left.

Had a couple of issues with mine when we moved in but I suspect they were installed by builders not proper installers.

Precision aluminium were very helpful and came out to service them and replace some seals and gave guidance on the locking issue I had. I have two internal handles to release the opening mechanism.

Sorry can’t help on the profile choice but I like the doors and pleased now the mechanism has been sorted

Hi, so assume one door open on frame side and the other back onto another door? Do you find the door size manageable, I'm staring at some 1200x2400 temporary boarding at the moment and it looks WIDE :) plus we've kids, just wondering if one would get pinned behind it swinging open or the wind catching it, guess that can happen with any door though. Whats the cill is it installed flush? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Good point foxhole but 1200 is the maximum (for Smartsystem anyway) so with a three door, going smaller would oversize the other two but was not something I'd considered, so thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, I missed your reply. My opening door is on the far left looking out into the garden.
It hinges on the 2nd door and then utilises two release handle to Fold the doors across to the right.

They are large doors but hinge very well. We changed the lower seal as it scrubbed the bottom of the door. Using a lower profile one made it easier to open and close and it still seals very well with no drafts.
One thing to consider is the layout and furniture in the room. We have a Welsh dresser just before the doors and it restricted access slightly to the door handle so we moved it slightly into the room. My 3 year old manages with it quite well. You can buy magnetic door matches to hold the main door open but we choose to close it.
There is a small cill externally and the decking sits nicely underneath so there is no height transition from inside to out.

Hope this helps, taken from the for sale advert.
There isn’t a cill on the decking, the frame just sits slightly higher

Attachments

• ECD0401A-E91C-4C68-8D4A-DD7464278238.png
    ECD0401A-E91C-4C68-8D4A-DD7464278238.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 304
  • B01E5098-90DF-45F6-8E13-73A838AC7228.png
    B01E5098-90DF-45F6-8E13-73A838AC7228.png
    1 MB · Views: 301
Personally I would go 3 doors all going the same way or 4 doors opening from the middle with no traffic door.
I love the DV176 cill/thresh, Nice low, weather rated and strong.
I have fitted 3.6 x 2.4h doors and had no issues/call backs

That’s good advice. As mentioned give some thought to the furniture location and then access to the door. If I was designing ours, the middle opener would have been preferable.

Thanks for the photos peanut, impressive full width. For us a traffic door is preferable as would be main door into garden, we don't have side access now, dog needs letting out and young kids are in and out all Summer. Thank you very much for your input Gazman, good to hear you've installed with no issues which is reassuring to hear. A 3 door I believe is 3-0-3 with the master door on left and one shot bolt for other two. Sash can be either DV23 or rounded DV26 assume less damage/knock prone? Think I read for doors over certain width it needs glass adjuster kits ACDV295? Any knowledge on that aspect? With so many options I'm trying to make sure I don't miss anything so any advice welcome. I'll check measurements again before ordering too. Even though Armageddon does feel like it's coming, getting doors soon will still be necessary as the current 3 sheets of OSB don't let much light through!

Last edited:
Good point foxhole but 1200 is the maximum (for Smartsystem anyway) so with a three door, going smaller would oversize the other two but was not something I'd considered, so thanks for the suggestion.
Was thinking 4 doors .

We have the 1.2m x 3 panels, lead (opening) door on the left too. Look amazing, BUT, the lead, opening door keeps dropping, making it very awkward as it’s used as our back door so to speak. The installers been back a couple of times, sorted the main doors, but the opener dropped the very next day! Starting to loose patience now. Had them a couple of years but lockdown delayed our initial warranty enquiry. I’ve looked online to see how to adjust the lead door, but can’t find anything to suggest it’s a DIY job?

Google heel and toe glazing. Use a plastic glazing paddle to push the frame away from the glass and wedge Packer/s in, basically the glass is the ridged part of the door and you are bracing the frame around it, like the bracing on a wooden gate corner to corner. Careful use of paddle to only push against the glass not the spacer between the two glass sheets as it will deform. You may need to exert some force to do it. I need to do mine again as it dropped too. Take the rubbers out then pop the metal trims out. You will see the packers then. - Added - I just did mine, added a 2mm spacer at top right and bingo closes mint again. Had a squeaky top hinge too and only 6 months old, was really annoying it made more noise as the sun came round and heated the doors up but spray silicone grease seems to have silenced it for now.

Last edited:
Thanks, i,ll google that (and where to get the glazing paddle). I can see where they removed the rubbers, plus the runners for the internal blinds, as they’ve left marks/nics in them!
I’m not the best at DIY (mechanics I’m ok ), fingers crossed I don’t make it worse!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back