Smartphone use and smart (electricity) meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Wifi gurus. There did not seem to be any other appropriate forum than this one, so I hope it will be correct to post here.

Thanks to information provided by someone on DIYNot, I was able to cease paying £42.50 per month for broadband and calls, to an Internet Service provider. I now pay only £10.00 per month for a mobile phone contract (previously, I used PAYGO). For this amount, I now enjoy unlimited texts and calls, plus an Internet connection for my computer, which provides a good-enough Internet service. The computer is “tethered” to my phone as a Wifi hot-spot, which acts as a router.

However, a friend told me recently that, if I switch my electricity supply to a “smart” meter (I know that this cannot be enforced, but I am considering doing so), I may need to change my phone service provider, because not all phone service providers offer a smart-meter connection to a smartphone. It occurred to me also that, if what she told me is correct, it would be necessary (as I suppose) to keep my phone switched on all the time, night and day (which I would not want to do) to allow the smart-meter to do its job.

I know very little about matters like this, and thought that someone on this forum might be able to offer some advice. I don’t really want to change my phone service provider (which is Three UK).

My enquiry is not about whether it is advisable in general to change to a smart-meter, or not. It’s about the consequences, for smartphone use, if I did.

With thanks in hopes of an informed reply,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
As I understand it the In Home Display won't work without a home wifi connection. You could allow it to connect via your hotspot to display your usage if you wanted. Many people stick the IHD in a drawer after the novelty has worn off.

The smart meter(s) themselves will work fine and communicate back to the energy providers via 2/3G mobile in the South and 430MHz-ish UHF radio in the North without a home network wifi connection.

That metering data can be accessed via your mobile if you wish (it may be around 24 hours after the event though) - either via the energy suppliers App or some similar method.

Google 'how smart meters work' ?
e.g. https://www.smartme.co.uk/how-they-work.html

In home display uses ((yep what he said) zigbee to connect to the meter. Your phone connection has nothing to do with your smart meter.

Change away whenever you want to.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
UK Smart Meters don't need broadband or Wi-Fi. These use their own mobile or proprietary system depending what part of the country you are in.

So go ahead and get a Smart Meter, you shouldn't have any problems, and you won't need to change your current set-up.

Thanks for the correction.
My bad.

Had a new meter installed nearly a fortnight ago but not smart.

However reading the link a Zigbee radio network signal not bluetooth. Zigbee is used by Phillips Hue and similar smart home automation devices.
Allegedly has 100m range cf 10m for bluetooth, but at a much lower data rate.

Both use the same licence exempt 2.4GHz frequency bands as wifi. So will be subject to local interference / channel hopping choices that will mean they may or may not work reliably.

UK Smart Meters don't need broadband or Wi-Fi. These use their own mobile or proprietary system depending what part of the country you are in.

So go ahead and get a Smart Meter, you shouldn't have any problems, and you won't need to change your current set-up.
Thanks, martgreenwood, for that unequivocal reply. That's a great weight off my mind. Thanks also to you others that replied. The prompt input — from all of you —is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards to all,
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back