Smart meter's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British gas have asked me to change onto smart meter's I believe this to be the first step to the government being able to control what each household use's so I've refused them but then I've now found out that they are meant to emit 80 time's more radiation than a mobile phone and there's companys in America marketing "smart meter radiation guard's" . I've never heard of these health concern's regarding these meter's ever before has anyone else?? or is it all a load of B S ...

Sponsored Links
I suspect it's BS, there's always someone ready to jump on a health scare band wagon to make a quick buck.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if they had more powerful transmitters and/or higher gain antennas than a typical mobile phone. They don't have to care about battery life, they know what orientation their products will be operated in and they are going to want their readings to get through even if the propogation conditions are poor.

Having said that even if we take that "80 times" figure at face value and even if we assume that mobile phone transmissions have health risks (general consensus seems to be they don't) it's probablly still less hazardous than a mobile phone both because it wont need to transmit anywhere near as often and because you don't hold it to your bloody head.

"Radiation guards" on communication equipment are generally stupid and pointless. Most of this equipment has built in power control so trying to shield it will just make it crank up the transmit power until it gets through.

Sponsored Links
A precurser to variable tariffs and personalised billing...

Features can include:
The ability to remotely turn power on or off to a customer, read usage information from a meter, detect a service outage, change the maximum amount of electricity that a customer may demand at any time, detect "unauthorized" use of electricity and remotely shut it off, and remotely change the meter's billing plan from flat-rate to multi-tariff.

Avoid like the plague!

How long before they charge higher rates for leccie if you don't have a smart meter?

They're sure to be using a few sticks to get the refuseniks to have them.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/19/feature_uk_gov_power_meter_plan/

From the article
"While he confirms that a smart meter would be used in the process of cutting people off from their supply,Slade adds that their introduction should lead to fewer disconnections, as the improved data will make it possible to spot and manage payment problems earlier.

But what if someone other than power companies, such as foreign governments, worked out how to hack into the meters and cut people off? Slade says this “should not be able to happen”, while conceding “I don’t think you can say, hand on heart, that nothing will ever happen”

Seems they could cut your power whenever they want. Imagine being a few days away from pay day and your leccy bills a few days overdue. They flick a switch and BAM , no power. ;) ;)

I'm convinced of a hidden agenda behind these meter's it's so obvious. Well dave and your millionaire mate's you can shove them up your a4se they aint going in my house!!!

I'm convinced of a hidden agenda behind these meter's it's so obvious. Well dave and your millionaire mate's you can shove them up your a4se they aint going in my house!!!
Problem is, if you move you can't take out one that has already been installed...

As with water meters, slowly but surely the whole country will be covered!

British gas have asked me to change onto smart meter's I believe this to be the first step to the government being able to control what each household use's so I've refused them but then I've now found out that they are meant to emit 80 time's more radiation than a mobile phone and there's companys in America marketing "smart meter radiation guard's" . I've never heard of these health concern's regarding these meter's ever before has anyone else?? or is it all a load of B S ...

There should be a SARS rating on them like mobiles if that's the case....

http://healthvermont.gov/pubs/ph_assessments/radio_frequency_radiation_and_health_smart_meters.pdf

Sponsored Links
Back