Electric Meter

Sponsored Links
Not sure if it's mentioned earlier in this thread but I wonder if, eventually, there might be more carrot and stick with this. I read that providers might start to exclusively offer their lower tariffs to customers that have smart meters. Not sure if they'd be allowed to do this from a legal standpoint.

Not sure if it's mentioned earlier in this thread but I wonder if, eventually, there might be more carrot and stick with this. I read that providers might start to exclusively offer their lower tariffs to customers that have smart meters. Not sure if they'd be allowed to do this from a legal standpoint.
Already been done last winter but only for a few hours on certain days and by the same token they can also charge more to try and curb usage at peek times

Sponsored Links
You can save money with Octopus, for one, with a smart meter.

The customer doesn't pay that directly, the meter doesn't meter itself, so its consumption will not register in its consumption reading. I very much doubt they cost £10 to £20 per year to run, but even the old, mechanical meters involved some consumption.

It's less than £1 a year which isn't billed to the user.

I found the article from the telegraph. This person was told £6 a year and that's from a while ago. Here's the verbatim article :

I've found other articles which suggested a higher cost. I'll see if I can find them. ..

Also, surely this is something that could be confirmed from a FOI request..Unless of course as a private organisation these utility providers are not obligated to disclose such information ?

No we pay more for smart meters increased initial cost .increased running costs and significantly more expensive maintainance costs over it's life time hence why cadet refused to maintain them . Roll out cost have a look on government sites regards escalating cost
No. You provide the links. It's how it works with claims like you made.

They already do have Smart Meter tariffs, or tariffs which are only available if a SM is fitted, and why not - the suppliers can set whatever conditions they like.

I found the article from the telegraph. This person was told £6 a year and that's from a while ago. Here's the verbatim article :

I've found other articles which suggested a higher cost. I'll see if I can find them. ..

Also, surely this is something that could be confirmed from a FOI request..Unless of course as a private organisation these utility providers are not obligated to disclose such information ?

“Eventually, I received the answer that the meter and display unit take about £6 worth of my electricity a year – it will cost quite a bit more now.

The actual meter, is fed from the unmetered side of the meter, so the customer is not directly paying for it. As already said, the old mechanical meters were also powered by the unmetered side, so no real difference. The optional to use indoor display running cost is charged to the customer, when it is powered up....

I checked mine, which is an early unit, and it consumes around 0.5watt, or 29.263p/2000 per hour to run = 0.01463p. 0.01463px24x365 = 128.172p per year or £1.28 per annum. Even then, its use is entirely optional.

"My useless smart meter is back in it's box in the cupboard". Pamela Wakeling must be very confused about where her electricity is coming from, now she's disconnected the meter and put it in her cupboard. I suspect Pamela is confused about quite a lot of things.

"My useless smart meter is back in it's box in the cupboard". Pamela Wakeling must be very confused about where her electricity is coming from, now she's disconnected the meter and put it in her cupboard. I suspect Pamela is confused about quite a lot of things.
I think she sums up analogue meter fans, beautifully.

Sponsored Links
Back