Battery purchase for Samsung Smartphone

Sponsored Links
Well, I log in (on computer) with password, numbers and username. Recently, I was assured by a Mac techie that there is no risk more than anyone would have, even with my old browser.
L.L.
That’s correct , bank security is not compromised by age or type of tech used .

There is a bewildering array of phones. As you have an android operating system I would stick with that. Then just set a budget, Google the "best Android smartphone for under £xyz". If you really want to keep things simple then look for a Samsung - there are differences between makes in terms of controls, screen layouts etc so it would add slightly to the learning curve if you changed brands.

Regarding security, it's more if you want to use your phone for online banking (rather than to receive "one time passcode" texts).

cdbe, I am an old codger (as you so respectfully put it - ha, ha!), but I hate to use a mobile for telephone calls (except if I need to call when out) — I just use the landline.

Wow - you must be rich :) Landline calls as a package, are more expensive than a package including calls on mobile now and a mobile is handier anyway. Why do you hate using a mobile?

My cheapest way to have broadband, incoming landline calls, plus outgoing calls is to have my broadband landline, with no outgoing calls making all calls out on my mobile - which has unlimited calls/texts and 4Gb of data for a little over £6. Unlimited calls via landline, last time I checked was over £8.

What you say about buying a refurb every year seems to make a lot of sense, though, and I shall have a look to see what is available. That would not have occurred to me. It is a way of not being left behind, isn't it? Thanks for your suggestion!

I aim to pick up a 'refurbed' phone around every three to four years, however the one I have (Iphone SE) is fine/ does all I want, despite having it three years and I have just fitted a new battery, so I will keep it for now. I don't like larger phones, for carrying, but would appreciate a larger screen when using it sometimes.

Well, I log in (on computer) with password, numbers and username. Recently, I was assured by a Mac techie that there is no risk more than anyone would have, even with my old browser.
L.L.

Macs tend to be more secure, but using a phone app with finger or face recognition is even better. Likewise contactless phone payments are more secure than using a card.

Sponsored Links
If was buying a half decent phone on a budget I would never look any further than the current Motorola G series, G22 is the current model I believe, About £140 new, great battery life, good RAM for a low budget phone, lots of bang for your buck, will certainly see you alright for a few years, my experience of 'refurbished' and the like has also been tainted, unless its from Amazon Warehouse. https://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-g22-smartphone-android-4gb-ram-6-5-inch-4g-sim-free-64gb/p6084335
Hello again, freddiemurcurystwin. I have been using the brand-new Motorola G22 for about 24 hours, and it seems to be fine for what use of a phone I need. I appreciate your providing the link that you did. One thing though, is that, when I tap a keypad (say) or tap an icon on the home screen, there is no sound whatever, even though in Settings, keypad sounds is on, and the volume rocker is right at the top. I have been over this problem many times now, and have searched the Web for what may be wrong, but find nothing. It seems a bit over the top to think that the phone is defective, but that is how it seems to be (in that respect only, so far as I can tell).
I have done all that is recommended on the Web and am confident that my settings are correct. Yet, it is totally silent for tapping things,even the phone keypad. The alarms work as they should.

Can you suggest any solution?

Thanks, L.L.

Well it so happens I bought a pair of these for the sprogs today, so I'll check it out if I can extract one of them from their paws.

Well it so happens I bought a pair of these for the sprogs today, so I'll check it out if I can extract one of them from their paws.
Hey, Freddim... — I found the solution (by accident). Do Not Disturb was turned on, and I thought it meant "Do not disturb me (with notifications etc., when I'm working on something"). Just by chance (having tried all the other sound setttings) I turned it off, and immediately, there was sound. All is well, but thanks for the speedy response and willingness to help.
Kind regards,
L.L.

Wow - you must be rich :) Landline calls as a package, are more expensive than a package including calls on mobile now and a mobile is handier anyway. Why do you hate using a mobile?

My cheapest way to have broadband, incoming landline calls, plus outgoing calls is to have my broadband landline, with no outgoing calls making all calls out on my mobile - which has unlimited calls/texts and 4Gb of data for a little over £6. Unlimited calls via landline, last time I checked was over £8.
Harry, what you said (wrote) set me thinking, but I am so ignorant that what I was thinking could have been impossible. It was that, instead of using my phone on a PAY-AS-YOU-GO basis, as it now is, I could take out a contract for about £30.00 (?) per month, which might provide enough internet data allowance for my needs. However (and this is the main thing about which I am ignorant), I should not use the phone itself for internet use — I would link the Wifi-enabled phone to my computer, and use my computer for the Internet (big screen, more apps available etc.) Would this even be possible, and about how many gigabytes data would £30.00 per month buy? At present, my download allowance on the internet (with a computer internet service provider) is unlimited, at 42.50 per month (calls allowed are far more than I should ever use, but they do have a limit).
I don't like the idea of making phone calls on a mobile phone, but if it were economical, I suppose I would. (I find them awkward to hold. Also, the sound quality is not as good as the landline phone.)

I should appreciate any remarks you may care to make, and any information you might provide. Thanks in anticipation.
L.L.

I could take out a contract for about £30.00 (?) per month, which might provide enough internet data allowance for my needs.

A good start would be to see how much data you actually use each month, over several months... Delve into your router, it should be able to tell you, as might your ISP's logs.

However (and this is the main thing about which I am ignorant), I should not use the phone itself for internet use — I would link the Wifi-enabled phone to my computer, and use my computer for the Internet (big screen, more apps available etc.) Would this even be possible, and about how many gigabytes data would £30.00 per month buy?

I don't know personally, but my lady friend claims she has unlimited mobile data for less than that, including unlimited calls and texts. My slighter over £6pm mobile package gives me unlimited calls and texts, plus 4GB data. I only really use the 4Gb when away with the caravan and prior to the 4Gb I would manage on 1Gb, with updates turned off, just forums, email and newsgroups use.

At present, my download allowance on the internet (with a computer internet service provider) is unlimited, at 42.50 per month (calls allowed are far more than I should ever use, but they do have a limit).

That is horrendously expensive. I'm paying around £24 for just line and unlimited Internet at 40 download speed. That easily copes with streaming for the TV, plus everything on the computer, plus providing data to my phone when at home. My mobile at £6+ pm (using EE's system) does all my calls. Both are on Plusnet, with whom I have been quite happy for several years, with the landline FTTC - fibre to the nearest box on the street, with old copper wires the final few yards to my door.

So I pay Plusnet £30+ per month for all that lot.

I don't like the idea of making phone calls on a mobile phone, but if it were economical, I suppose I would. (I find them awkward to hold. Also, the sound quality is not as good as the landline phone.)

Like you, I also hate holding phones up, especially on long calls. Before I retired, I spent hours a day on mobile calls, often urgent and often whilst driving. I bought myself a fancy loudspeaker handsfree, but that only worked in the car. Once out of the car I still had to hold the phone, so I then bought an on ear Plustronic bluetooth unit, which worked great in the car, or out.

It had worn out by the time I retired, but recently for use at home I bought myself a Lidl bluetooth on ear with mic headset, which is quite clear, certainly a bit clearer than. I find the sound quality on mobile is just as good as on the landline, but it may depend on your local service.

I was like you, skeptical of shutting off the outgoing calls on my landline, so I simply tried it before committing and found I could manage perfectly well. Now the landline is just there for inbound calls.

A good start would be to see how much data you actually use each month, over several months... Delve into your router, it should be able to tell you, as might your ISP's logs.

I don't know personally, but my lady friend claims she has unlimited mobile data for less than that, including unlimited calls and texts. My slighter over £6pm mobile package gives me unlimited calls and texts, plus 4GB data. I only really use the 4Gb when away with the caravan and prior to the 4Gb I would manage on 1Gb, with updates turned off, just forums, email and newsgroups use.

That is horrendously expensive. I'm paying around £24 for just line and unlimited Internet at 40 download speed. That easily copes with streaming for the TV, plus everything on the computer, plus providing data to my phone when at home. My mobile at £6+ pm (using EE's system) does all my calls. Both are on Plusnet, with whom I have been quite happy for several years, with the landline FTTC - fibre to the nearest box on the street, with old copper wires the final few yards to my door.

So I pay Plusnet £30+ per month for all that lot.

Like you, I also hate holding phones up, especially on long calls. Before I retired, I spent hours a day on mobile calls, often urgent and often whilst driving. I bought myself a fancy loudspeaker handsfree, but that only worked in the car. Once out of the car I still had to hold the phone, so I then bought an on ear Plustronic bluetooth unit, which worked great in the car, or out.

It had worn out by the time I retired, but recently for use at home I bought myself a Lidl bluetooth on ear with mic headset, which is quite clear, certainly a bit clearer than. I find the sound quality on mobile is just as good as on the landline, but it may depend on your local service.

I was like you, skeptical of shutting off the outgoing calls on my landline, so I simply tried it before committing and found I could manage perfectly well. Now the landline is just there for inbound calls.
Harry, that is a wealth of information, so thanks very much! I shall need to do some investigation now, about my average use of data etc. The trouble you have taken, in typing all that out, is very much appreciated.

Something just occurred to me though, as I was about to hit Post reply. My wife doesn't use the internet on her phone, but she does send texts and sometimes makes long calls. Would a second phone in the house complicate matters, or involve more expense?
L.L.

No need to pay more than £10/month for a Sim only deal with up to 100gb data. You need to look on moneysavingexpert.com for the deals. If you want to go down this route, there are plenty of 1 month contracts so you can check the speed/reliably in your area. The way you use your phone as a WiFi router is by activating a "hot spot" on it then your other devices will see it as WiFi for you to log on as normal. Couple of issues - firstly, when you leave the house the WiFi goes with you so no one else can use it, and secondly, on my phone (I think it's because it's quite a battery intensive function) it turns off after a period of inactivity and you have to turn it back on. If either of these is an issue for you I would consider what we have - it's called a "MYFI 4G router". Stick a cheap SIM in it for your internet and use a separate cheap SIM in your phone - you won't need to pay more than £15 a month for both.

This is ours which we use for caravaning:
IMG_20220801_094357379.jpg

If you want to stuck with home broadband but make an immediate saving then just ring your provider and tell them you're leaving unless they offer you a better deal - you will need to take out a new contract but the savings are massive - I've just played this game with Virgin Media - from £54/month down to £16/month and they've doubled the speed to 200mbps, and they've said that when they try to apply their sneaky mid contract increases (now probably approaching 15%) I should call them back and they'll negotiate that away).

We have kids who "game online", but as soon as they're gone we'll be on purely mobile broadband - which will likely be 5g by then.

Aw, thanks for that, CDBE! I
No need to pay more than £10/month for a Sim only deal with up to 100gb data. You need to look on moneysavingexpert.com for the deals. If you want to go down this route, there are plenty of 1 month contracts so you can check the speed/reliably in your area. The way you use your phone as a WiFi router is by activating a "hot spot" on it then your other devices will see it as WiFi for you to log on as normal. Couple of issues - firstly, when you leave the house the WiFi goes with you so no one else can use it, and secondly, on my phone (I think it's because it's quite a battery intensive function) it turns off after a period of inactivity and you have to turn it back on. If either of these is an issue for you I would consider what we have - it's called a "MYFI 4G router". Stick a cheap SIM in it for your internet and use a separate cheap SIM in your phone - you won't need to pay more than £15 a month for both.

View attachment 275760

If you want to stuck with home broadband but make an immediate saving then just ring your provider and tell them you're leaving unless they offer you a better deal - you will need to take out a new contract but the savings are massive - I've just played this game with Virgin Media - from £54/month down to £16/month and they've doubled the speed to 200mbps, and they've said that when they try to apply their sneaky mid contract increases (now probably approaching 15%) I should call them back and they'll negotiate that away).

We have kids who "game online", but as soon as they're gone we'll be on purely mobile broadband - which will likely be 5g by then.

Aw, thanks for that information, CDBE! I had no idea that such things existed. That does seem to be the answer to the turning-off problem. I shall investigate those routers you tell me about. The only other user of my data would be my wife, who goes to relatives occaasionally (without me, I mean), but she does not use the Internet, so there is no problem. I do appreciate your information.

I did look for one, but now I am confused (as usual, where tech things are concerned). One that I saw said "Windows operating system". My phone is an Android and my computer is a Mac. Which MYFI router operating system should I look for?

I went to my provider (Three UK), but I should need to take out a separate contract to use their router, which is a big turn off. I thought they could be bought outright, and used using my Data Card allowance at no further cost. Pity!
L.L.

Last edited:
I did look for one, but now I am confused (as usual, where tech things are concerned). One that I saw said "Windows operating system". My phone is an Android and my computer is a Mac. Which MYFI router operating system should I look for?

Myfi, is just myfi - an access point to the Internet, you can connect any operating system to it at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back