Battery purchase for Samsung Smartphone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello experts: I need to buy a replacement battery for my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone. There are many sellers on eBay, but they all advertise their batteries with a number such as this — SM-G900/S5 NEO EB-BG900BBE 2800mAh. I know nothing about this kind of distinction (my old battery just states the voltage and amperage, and there does not seem to be any source of which number applies to my phone, on my phone (it was a used model when I bought it, so no handbook).

Can anyone say, with certainty, whether it matter or not, if one just hopes for the best, and buys a numbered battery type that may or many not work (or that might even ruin the phone)?
With thanks in advance, for any informed and useful response.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
There are many sellers on eBay, but they all advertise their batteries with a number such as this — SM-G900/S5 NEO EB-BG900BBE 2800mAh.

Be very wary of batteries on Ebay, the sellers often massively over spec. the capacity of their batteries and there are lots of fakes on the site. Best to buy from a reputable source, with a reputation to be lost.

Be very wary of batteries on Ebay, the sellers often massively over spec. the capacity of their batteries and there are lots of fakes on the site. Best to buy from a reputable source, with a reputation to be lost.
Yes, thanks for the warning Harry. However, it seems to be difficult to find such an old battery elsewhere (though I shall look again). I wish I knew what the long numbers indicate, though.
L.L.

I took a chance on a battery replacement about two years ago, I spoke to several local 'experts' only one said he would only do a battery replacement if he cuold source an original manufacturers battery, anything else is a total gamble, turned out he couldn't get a battery for my phone so refused to to do the job, I took a chance with one of the other chancers (I knew the risk) I wish I hadn't, total waste of money.

Sponsored Links
I took a chance on a battery replacement about two years ago, I spoke to several local 'experts' only one said he would only do a battery replacement if he cuold source an original manufacturers battery, anything else is a total gamble, turned out he couldn't get a battery for my phone so refused to to do the job, I took a chance with one of the other chancers (I knew the risk) I wish I hadn't, total waste of money.
I notice that, on eBay, most of them are advertised as genuine. Well, I suppose they would say that, wouldn't they?

I notice that, on eBay, most of them are advertised as genuine. Well, I suppose they would say that, wouldn't they?
Precisely what he said, I mean why would you be able to buy a genuine battery from a manufacturer for say a 4 year old phone anyway, it makes no sense, manufacturers blatantly don't want us to be able to use old phones. even with good battery's they end up defunct as the updates for Google Play Store/security updates etc simply don't work on older phones and they become unusable.

I always buy my replacement iPhone batteries on eBay with no problem just order one listed as suitable for my make and model. I usually get one with increased battery life.

I replaced a battery on an Iphone, it was a bit fiddley but I followed a you tube video and it works fine now with an extended battery life.

Andy

Neither of you would buy some unbranded battery off ebay for your car. So its always gonna be risky for a phone.

I used to mess about with eBay batteries, became more and more difficult - to find decent batteries, and with them being glued in, "water resistant" needing to dismantle practically the entire phone, replace the back casing etc.

Now I just buy a new phone every year/18 months - I'm a fan of Motorola "G" phones - typically buy a refurb (in reality new return or grey import) on eBay for around £140 and sell the old one for around £80.

I do absolutely hammer my phones and think that just over £1/week is a bargain for a reliable up to date mid range smartphone with outstanding battery life.

An S5 is no longer supported by Samsung in terms of updates to the operating system, security etc so unless your an old codger who just uses it a a telephone then you should consider something a bit newer.

I used to mess about with eBay batteries, became more and more difficult - to find decent batteries, and with them being glued in, "water resistant" needing to dismantle practically the entire phone, replace the back casing etc.

Now I just buy a new phone every year/18 months - I'm a fan of Motorola "G" phones - typically buy a refurb (in reality new return or grey import) on eBay for around £140 and sell the old one for around £80.

I do absolutely hammer my phones and think that just over £1/week is a bargain for a reliable up to date mid range smartphone with outstanding battery life.

An S5 is no longer supported by Samsung in terms of updates to the operating system, security etc so unless your an old codger who just uses it a a telephone then you should consider something a bit newer.
cdbe, I am an old codger (as you so respectfully put it - ha, ha!), but I hate to use a mobile for telephone calls (except if I need to call when out) — I just use the landline. Occasionally, I send a text, but not very often. My dependence on a mobile phone is for when I do internet banking or make a purchase on eBay (via my computer, up until now) — frequently, they send a security code to my mobile phone by text message, and this allows me to log in securely. Also, it's a standby for my computer giving up the ghost (Like me, it's a old codger, and I should not be able to afford a new Mac computer, which is the only one I would use). It's even useful for in the evenings, when my computer is switched off — I can quickly look something up on the Internet, or even view my photographs conveniently. So, I should not like to be without my smartphone.

What you say about buying a refurb every year seems to make a lot of sense, though, and I shall have a look to see what is available. That would not have occurred to me. It is a way of not being left behind, isn't it? Thanks for your suggestion!

(Added later): Hey, I looked on eBay at Motorola refurbs, and (being an old codger) was completely overwhelmed by the different model numbers. So, if I may be a bit of a nuisance, may I pick your brains? What I should like is a phone with a micro SIM slot AND (what seems to be a) nano SD slot. 4G, with wifi Bluetooth and USB. If you have any way of warning me about the model number showing that it is ancient, that would be very helpful, as I don't know what the model numbers tell a purchaser. Also, any other things to watch out for. Thanks muchly, in hopeful anticipation!
L.L.

Last edited:
If you do internet banking it's especially important that you have up to date operating system security!

If you do internet banking it's especially important that you have up to date operating system security!
Well, I log in (on computer) with password, numbers and username. Recently, I was assured by a Mac techie that there is no risk more than anyone would have, even with my old browser.
L.L.

If was buying a half decent phone on a budget I would never look any further than the current Motorola G series, G22 is the current model I believe, About £140 new, great battery life, good RAM for a low budget phone, lots of bang for your buck, will certainly see you alright for a few years, my experience of 'refurbished' and the like has also been tainted, unless its from Amazon Warehouse. https://www.johnlewis.com/motorola-g22-smartphone-android-4gb-ram-6-5-inch-4g-sim-free-64gb/p6084335

Neither of you would buy some unbranded battery off ebay for your car. So its always gonna be risky for a phone.
I would happily of bought an unbranded battery for my car, if they even exist ( I’m not a brand slave like many ) but could only find branded battery last time I bought one .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back