Smeg dishwasher leaking from air brake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Smeg DI6012 integrated dishwasher has suddenly started leaking from the rectangular opening near the top of it (which is not clearly visible unless you remove the air brake). I have checked the o rings at the bottom and they are not leaking, it is definitely coming out of the top as the water comes in through the inlet and splashes out of the opening before dropping to the base and out onto the floor. See photo showing water flow and square at the top which is open to the atmosphere and where water is splashing out from). I have temporarily stopped the leaking by reducing the water flow into the machine by half turning the inlet tap, but unsurprisingly the quality of the wash has now deteriorated due to lack of water. I have tested the inlet valve/solenoid and it seems to be working fine. I have searched online and can't find any ideas so help please!

Attachments

• IMG_20230311_143650~2.jpg
    IMG_20230311_143650~2.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
I have temporarily stopped the leaking by reducing the water flow into the machine by half turning the inlet tap, but unsurprisingly the quality of the wash has now deteriorated due to lack of water. I have tested the inlet valve/solenoid and it seems to be working fine. I have searched online and can't find any ideas so help please!

Reducing the speed of cold water flow into the machine, shouldn't make any difference to how well it washes at all. The only difference it might make, is to how long the solenoid valve needs to be open to attain the required fill.

It is quite a normal thing to need to do to washers and dish washers, to need to restrict the cold water flow, to prevent splashing. The usual way is to add a flow restriction washer, in the tap connection, or at the hose to machine connection.

Reducing the speed of cold water flow into the machine, shouldn't make any difference to how well it washes at all. The only difference it might make, is to how long the solenoid valve needs to be open to attain the required fill.

It is quite a normal thing to need to do to washers and dish washers, to need to restrict the cold water flow, to prevent splashing. The usual way is to add a flow restriction washer, in the tap connection, or at the hose to machine connection.
Thanks Harry. It seems rather odd that the dishwasher suddenly started splashing (it was violent and sufficient enough to flood our kitchen floor and cause water to leak through to the basement below) so really does seem as though something has broken rather than this normal behaviour?

Sponsored Links
Any other ideas anyone? The machine is 12 years old and I am weighing up fixing vs replacing but I really hate the waste of binning it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back