Smeg dishwasher - went pop!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, mid-cycle there was quite a loud pop in the kitchen..electrical smell..and the dishwasher stopped. It hadnt blown the 13A fuse? in the plug ...or tripped the mcb? (its the only appliance on a 16Amp radial circuit).

When I looked round the back of the machine there was a small sooty mark on the floor. Measuring that against the machine/sense of smell and more soot on wires tells me the capacitor went (with a bang)..its a r.e.m. F3CF70002L. When I took it off...underneath where the plastic sealer is (or whatever it is) there appears to be a rupture.

What could have caused this..the machine is couple of years old ..was working perfectly..and hasnt had that much use? Any ideas on where to source a new capacitor?

Will it just go again?..or could yesterday just be a one-off component failure. We live in Cyprus..ambient temp yetsrday 31C..& the machine has long periods of non-use when we are in UK. I think elcetro-chemical devices like capacitors can suffer in heat where no mains is passing through?

Had a similar thing happen with our washing machine here..replaced the failed capapcitor and its been fine for the last 18 months.

Sponsored Links
what you are describing is the mains supressor .it is fairly common for these to pop.

thank you for the reply..I am trying to source one of these as wifey is getting dishwasher-withdrawal symptoms..it appears to be made by R.E. M. and apart from the serial no. I quoted it says on it in tiny writing!:

0.1 microfarad (symbol)F, then below that 0.1 microfarad(symbol)F(x1)1M omega (symbol).

One problem maybe as the machine was bought in Cyprus it's a Smeg model that is not sold in UK?

Is a generic suppressor easy to get if I cant get the exact-same part?

These capacitors are only mains filters for supression from interference to TV & radio, personally I have never replaced one just a bit of bypass surgery.If you want another one I am coming to Cyprus 29th july I will bring one with me.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the offer assuhors...I have sourced one now..but to be honest didn't realise exactly what it was for.

re Cyprus..I hope you have aircon wherever you are going in late July..35C in the shade this p.m. .

My Hotpoint Aquarius DWF31 went bang too.
Just got home from work...D/W still warm from having just finished it's cycle, switched a few lights on & BANG + Burning smell. Wasn't sure what it was at first, so unplugged other apliances & narrowed it down to the D/W.

Is this an easy fix for a non electrician?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back