Bosch Classixx Dishwasher Went POP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Bosch Classixx Dishwasher stopped working between uses (no lights at all). Found the 13A fuse in the plug had gone. On replacing it and switching power socket on there was loud POP from somewhere near the bottom rear of the thing. Plug fuse is still intact as is circuit fuse, but no lights on the appliance.

Reading around, this seems to be a common failure on Bosch D/W of the mains suppressor capacitors.

So I'm trying to get the cover off to see what's what. I'm trying to get the r/h side cover off as the power enters on that side at the back. 2 screws removed at front of r/h cover, and it is moving but will not come away, seems to be retained somewhere near the mid-top of the cover (the rear appears to be just retained by two plastic lugs).

I can't see anyway to get the lid off to see what's holding the side cover on. The rear of the lid is clearly retained by plastic lugs that suggest the lid needs to slide backwards to remove, but at the front there are no fastners at all.

Anyone know how these things come apart?

Info stamped into top of door:
Bosch Classixx D/W
E-Nr: SGS43A52GB/41
FD 8302 340429
Typ: S9H1B

Thanks in advance as always :)

Graham

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need to take off the side-plate to get the suppressor out.
But if you want to remove the covers to inspect other components & your machine has a worktop then it is held in place by 2 catch tappets at the rear right and left hand sides. To remove the worktop, press the catch tappets up, push the worktop back and lift it off.
To get the side-plates off remove the two screws in the edge of the door opening & take off the front plate under the door (the side-plate is held there as well). There may or may not be a locating screw at the bottom rear of the panel.

Thanks zipper. How would I get to the suppressor?

The side panel doesn't come as far forward as the front plate under the door. There is a small plastic plate (about 6" high x 2" wide) attached with one screw to the end of the front plate and the main side panel is free from this. It seems to be retained somewhere near the middle of the top edge.

I'll take the lid off and see what's what :)

Thanks again.

The lid needs to come off to remove the side-plate. It has a 90 degree lip that sits on a couple of plastic lugs. You have to lift the edge a little to get it off the lugs. The suppressor should be a plug-in type that is just behind the plastic plate where the cable enters. From a foggy memory the plate (with suppressor attached) is either clipped in place, or it has to be moved sideways out of slots. Once you get the side off you'll see the arrangement & all will reveal itself. You can check the wash motor at the same time.

Sponsored Links
OK - lid off. The top edge of the side panel was hooked over ridges towards the front and rear. I don't think I'd have been able to lift it off those with the lid in place.

Now to work out what I'm looking at - I take it the suppressor is just the whacking great capacitor on the side of the pump? Visually it looks fine, no leakage or sooty charring around it. With the kind of pop it made I was expecting to see something obvious.

Am I looking at the right thing? Certainly doesn't seem to be anything else under there that could be a suppressor. :confused:

edit - cross-posted witht you zipper. I'll take a look for a plate where the mains cable enters now.

Got it - clip-on type right where you said :)

It certainly appears to be the culprit - two massive splits in the case and all sooty black.

Just need to find a replacement and then work out where that pipe coming from the centre of the right side of the main body of the machine is supposed to go to (I dislodged it getting the suppressor out). It just looks like a vent from the inside of the machine... does the far end actually attach to anything?

You have steam vents attached to pipes on quite a few machines that lead to an evaporation area in the base, they are usually clipped or taped/cable tied in place.

If you remove the blown suppressor (and usually change the fuse in the plug) you should be able to run the machine to test if everything else is ok (95% of the time it is). Not recommended to run like this though as you may get interference with TV and radio.

http://www.bosch-eshop.com/eshop/bosch/gb/prodp.htm?prod=SGS43A52GB/41&ESHOPTYPE=A

part number 165201
Capacitor-interference
0,27uF + 2 x 27000pF
Substitute 600233
Packaging unit 1
15.11 GBP

That makes sense, it didn't offer any resistance to being pulled out so didn't think it was attached.

In order to run it up without the suppressor do I need to do anything with the connections it attachs too? e.g. jumper them together

I certainly wouldn't keep it like that, I know my previous ancient tumble drier (now deceased) kicked out a load of electrical noise every time it reversed - played havoc with the TV. Don't want that again! Would be nice to just run it through one wash cycle to make sure it's OK.

edit - missed your link and part details, thanks for those, cheapest I found it elsewhere was ~£17 so nice to see it's cheaper from the m'fr :)

The machine is sure to be ok, those suppressors are prone to failure. The machine will run perfectly well without a mains suppressor (but you TV picture may suffer).

Thanks again to zipper and Leccy758.

New interference suppressor arrived today, fitted, reassembled and all working well.

Took a little time last night to get the other side panel off and thoroughly cleaned / vacuumed out all the dust from the gubbins at the bottom - not that bad really given its age, just seemed sensible to get it pristine inside and out before it went back into its hole for hopefully a few more years.

£18.71 spent + couple of hours mostly monkeying around figuring out how to get the thing apart to fix what sounded like a pop of death at first - DIY can be so rewarding sometimes :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back