Smeg fridge freezer thermostat casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I suspect my fridge freezer thermostat needs replacing from what I have read, so I got the part, but now I cannot figure how to get the thermostat housing off, it's a smeg cr325apl fridge freezer. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 454
Sponsored Links
Just figured this one out. The sprung moving white plastic part at the front which turns the light on/off comes out, just squeeze the top/bottom near the back of it and it pops out of the housing. With that out, if you look inside the housing against the side wall you'll see a small white plastic clip coming through the translucent housing which is what holds the removeable housing parts to the side wall. Use a screwdriver to push this clip away from you towards the back of the fridge and the front of the housing comes away from the side. It needs about 2mm movement to allow the housing to clear the clip. Once the front of the housing is clear, pull housing forward to release the back.

There are no screws in this housing. You cannot remove the thermostat dial until you've removed the thermostat from inside the housing, it has internal clips which mean it can't just be pulled out, but you don't need to remove either the dial or the lamp to get it out.

Other replacement tips:
- You have to bend two of the plastic contact plates of the replacement thermostat fitting to 90 degrees. Make sure you bend them the right way!
- make sure you route the thermostat sensor wire carefully to make sure it can't touch the mains terminals when you push the housing back on the fridge
- The moving plastic arm which controls the on/off switch does come out of the housing, you have to slide it along to a point where there are notches cut out of it to allow it to come out
- Fit the thermostat knob back on before you re-fit the housing to the side of the fridge, otherwise it won't push on to the peg properly
- Fit the sprung plastic light control back in place before you re-fit the housing to the side of the fridge otherwise you won't get it fitted.

Mine is a Smeg CR325APL1

This is from a Whirlpool for IKEA fridge freezer which is about 16 years old, but the serial number is recognised by at least one online spares supplier which it uses to identify a replacemen5 thermostat. (The serial/service number is 853976215051).

Having read Lafite’s comment I persevered, as I am quite sure the thermostat knob cannot be pulled off on this model either. Eventually after giving up a couple of times, but finding no other solution, I did manage to release the moving plastic light switch at the front. This revealed the screw (pictured) which I proceeded to remove with a great sense of triumph. Imagine the deflation therefore when no matter what I try and how carefully I investigate, and despite checking all around to be sure the thermostat housing is not clipped into the fridge side, it is still solidly held to the fridge. No amount of manipulation, squeezing or attempts to slide it have any effect.

I am wondering if the tops of these appliances are removable and whether there is a screw or two accessible from above, accessible down the side inside the inner side wall, which would release the thermostat, which is near the top of the appliance.

Attachments

• D274BF79-F5C9-4C82-A18E-BF2E46043CC7.jpeg
    D274BF79-F5C9-4C82-A18E-BF2E46043CC7.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 8B24B72E-D349-4BBF-A63E-428F4EC6FA6C.jpeg
    8B24B72E-D349-4BBF-A63E-428F4EC6FA6C.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
The same online supplier has pictures of the thermostat housing and it looks like there should be a screw in the other end as well. It is very difficult to access though - the photo was taken by reaching inside the fridge compartment with one hand only, as the lamp housing is not visible otherwise. Even from that viewpoint a screw cannot be seen or accessed, but I read in another thread that the lamp shield may be hiding it. Is it easy to remove?

Attachments

• 4BAC8CB7-A8C1-42C6-A4D1-6DF2712E589C.jpeg
    4BAC8CB7-A8C1-42C6-A4D1-6DF2712E589C.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back