Smell coming from shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Recently had my new bathroom fitted by a right pair of really poor workmen and by poor i mean ****!. But of the many things that are wrong my main concern is with our house being old all our waste from upstairs goes into the soil pipe to drain away as this is all there is, my free standing shower stinks when you open the doors. I pulled the shower out and the pipe from the shower goes straight into the 40mm waste pipe out the main brick wall and into the soil stack.

Now I've looked under the floor at the pipe but at the time i was told they had fitted this expensive part that stops smells coming back up but there nowt just a straight run of pipe no such part.

Now my question is......is there such an expensive part that should be fitted in the pipe run or should there just be a trap, or as it is with nowt but straight pipe. The smell is canny bad so need to sort it asap.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Definately need a trap. Connection direct to a stack then should have a 76mm depth of water seal in the trap IIRC. Depending on layout/access then may be easier to fit a HepVo valve in the line between shower and stack.

our house being old all our waste from upstairs goes into the soil pipe to drain away as this is all there is,
Nowt wrong with that as long as it’s a proper vented stack & all the connections are done correctly & I don’t mean daisy chain.
my free standing shower stinks when you open the doors. I pulled the shower out and the pipe from the shower goes straight into the 40mm waste pipe out the main brick wall and into the soil stack.
Well if that’s the case, it’s not right as already said.
Now I've looked under the floor at the pipe but at the time i was told they had fitted this expensive part that stops smells coming back up but there nowt just a straight run of pipe no such part. Now my question is......is there such an expensive part that should be fitted in the pipe run or should there just be a trap, or as it is with nowt but straight pipe. The smell is canny bad so need to sort it asap.
Sounds like you (or they are at least) might be talking about a Hepo valve/trap & this is what one looks like;
http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/SHepvo.cfm
Don’t know what they charged you (can hear trigger naying outside?) but they are not expensive, they do work in the right circumstances but they are far too often used as a bodge “get off the hook” fitting as opposed to installing a proper waste, trap & stack connection. If you’ve actually got one & it still smells then you’ve got other problems but without a lot more detail it’s impossible to say what they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back