Smell from shower drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Yet another shower drain smell problem.
I think this one is related to my neighbours plumbing coming through the wall and sharing my shower waste pipe

I’m having a problem with horrible smell coming from our shower that was installed a couple of years ago. Had 2 plumbers look at this and one has added a non return valve to the shower pipework to stop air coming back in.
The problem is their is not sufficient space under the shower for a trap and we have a linear drain.

I don’t think the non return valve is working because every couple of days or less the smell returns. It then goes on its own but it’s pretty foul and I don’t like to think what.

oh it’s a shared Victorian house divided into flats and we are raised ground floor. I believe we all share the same soil pipe that is in the corner of our bathroom boxed in.

im concerned the nrv under the shower hasn’t worked and also aren’t they supposed to be maintained regularly? Ours is tiled over.

Our shower waste runs past the toilet and then both enter the soil pipe I believe. the basin, washing machine and kitchen sink run into the large toilet waste pipe.

The fall is ok from the shower as it runs away but it doesn’t if we fit the anti hair piece on the drain.

can anyone help please?!?

oh also there are 2 pipes coming from the flat next door joining our shower. One waste pipe before and one after our shower waste. that all goes to the main waste.

I think there may be siphoning but I’m smelling now something and the shower drain has some water in it.

the nrv isn’t stopping smells though

Attachments

• 932367ea-d642-4bcb-bf63-6467ae67c75b.jpeg
    932367ea-d642-4bcb-bf63-6467ae67c75b.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 0f8ac338-e4c7-417b-b691-ca811b8eedae.jpeg
    0f8ac338-e4c7-417b-b691-ca811b8eedae.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Fit a raised shower tray that you can fit a trap to.
Thanks. I did think of that but it would mean refitting the shower glass enclosure also. Would that still resolve the issue if there is syphoning happening? I’m not sure why the smell comes and goes.
Here is the toilet stack plumbing
The white pipe is from the basin and has been changed now. The toilet waste has been changed to a black fitting with more secure fittings as this one was leaking.
The plumber attached this old one with silicone. Madness.

Could this replacement have added to the issue ?

Attachments

• a0d6fb4b-b7bc-4310-a511-2052d8131646.jpeg
    a0d6fb4b-b7bc-4310-a511-2052d8131646.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Perhaps suggest an anti-syphon waste trap on the sink outlet?

I had exactly the same issue. On flushing, the vacuum would pull the water out of the shower waste leaving the plug open to the sewer.
Works great.

Perhaps suggest an anti-syphon waste trap on the sink outlet?

I had exactly the same issue. On flushing, the vacuum would pull the water out of the shower waste leaving the plug open to the sewer.
Works great.
We have one of those under the kitchen sink to stop gurgling when the tumble is on. (Works a bit)
Do you think adding one to the bathroom basin will help the shower as it’s on the other side of the bathroom and no smells from the basin.
Also there is some water in the shower drain and I still smell but only sometimes.
Am I smelling something caused by actions of my neighbour who shares my bathroom waste or maybe above.
It’s driving me insane

Here’s the layout

Attachments

• pipework.jpeg
    pipework.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 15

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back