Smell Gas? Call Free and let us waste your time!

Dit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Crisis at 4pm yesterday (it never happens at 9am), missus smelt gas, turned it off, and called the helpful people from British Gas. Engineer from Wales & West Utilities came and turned it on, confirmed a leak and turned it off. Served a notice that it mustn't be turned on until the leak is fixed.

Had to call our former plumber in desperation who cut the offending branch and capped it, allowing us to get the boiler working again so we didn't freeze in the -4 temps. This procedure took him 23 minutes. As he is hanging his torch up for good, we now have to find another plumber to replace the offending pipe.

Not such a bad story but here's the glitch. The paperwork W&WU left us says they are responsible for stopping gas leaks. They will not carry out pipework repairs that cannot be completed in 30 minutes.

Why bother I ask W&WU, just stay in your tearooms where you can't come to any harm!!!

Sponsored Links
Are they the transco equivalent?, they will stop gas leaks to aleviate any danger. They will also repair their pipework and equipment in your house if faulty. They won't repair yours though, just make it safe to make sure you come to no harm. Why would they?

Well actually officially they will repair the householder's gas installation if they can do it in 30 minutes.

In practice I have never seen them ever repair a leak on a customer's side.

I find it very odd that this fellow came out for 23 minutes but will not do a permanent repair later!

Tony

Dit said:
The paperwork W&WU left us says they are responsible for stopping gas leaks. They will not carry out pipework repairs that cannot be completed in 30 minutes.

Why bother I ask W&WU, just stay in your tearooms where you can't come to any harm!!!

you must be one of these people who wants things for free. :rolleyes:

first of all lets understand what W&WU are there for. they are a gas emergency service that is provided to you for free because technically they own certain gas equipment in your house and are therefore liable to repair it or make safe.

they are not there to repair your personal property for free. why would you even begin to think they should? they are busy enough without having to deal with ignorant and inconsiderate people like yourself.

tony, i have seen them repair leaks on the consumer side in under 30 minutes for free.

Sponsored Links
I used to repair small leaks when i worked for them,it does happen,but some of the guys used to just cap the meter in true TOFO style.

With current regs NG responsibilty ends at ECV. If customers gas supplier hasn't a current contract with NG then when they attend they will cap off and leave until gas supplier agrees to pay them :!:

How can a gas supplier be supplying without a contract with NG ?

I have only come across the TOFO brigade.

Just once I came across one who must have had an argument with his wife that morning.

He had cut and capped off the pipe in three places!

One of them was were the gas pipe passed behind an electric oven unit. He had carefully screwed the oven back in place and left no clues to his dastardly deed!

Now if you like gas problems look at this one:-

http://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/display.var.1239369.0.0.php

Tony

Tony, there are very few who haven't a contract but they do exist! They contract is for the emergency call out side of things. Don't know why they don't have one, perhaps they are thinking that it is saving money.

It's similar to when NG attend to a fault/smell of gas with an independent gas transporter eg gdc, you will then notice NG operative having to fill out a lot more paperwork as NG then charge them for the call out ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back