Smell Of Gas Shortly After Boiler Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an Ideal W2000 boiler which is around 25 years old. As the topic title suggests, there is a wiff of gas shortly after the boiler lights.

It goes after the boiler switches off and I'm pretty sure it goes before it switches off but I can't be sure as the smell of gas lingers for short while.

A little about the boiler in general. The pilot light colour looks good, dark blue center with a light blue outline although it is wavy.

The burner flame pattern and colour is reasonable. Reasonably steady, mostly blue but with brief flickers of orange in some areas. 3 or 4 jets near the pilot appear to be blocked and as a mechanical fitter who works in a refinery with a little experience of huge burners, i'd say it was OK (as in not terminal just yet) although I accept what is OK in a controlled environment like a refinery, may not be acceptable in an enclosed domestic space.

The boiler thermostat also used to be buzzy - as in it would try to kick in for sometime before it actually did kick in. It seems to have cured itself though - or is it just moving onto the next stage of being completely knackered?

The outer casing soft square section seal is also a bit knackered (i'd imagine). It's still mostly soft but there are small areas where it has split part way through.

Ideally I don't want to spend any money on the boiler as it is going in the spring/summer depending on availability of fitters.

Without committing yourselves (for obvious reasons) is this just a sign of an aging boiler or is it a sign something needs doing immediately. ?

Fwiw I have an electronic carbon monoxide alarm as well as those sticky patches. The boiler also passed a safety inspection 4 years ago.[/i]

Sponsored Links
Safety inspection?

Is this a property that you rent out?

All that I and others on this forum are likely to tell you is that you seem to have multiple safety issues and a gas registered engineer is the obvious normal course of action.

Warn me which refinary you work on with blocked jets and a questionable safety culture. I dont want to be passing another Bouncefield !

Tony

What do you expect anyone on here to do? , would of been easier and quicker for you to make a call to have the boiler looked at , you've already saved a good few quid on not having it serviced for 4 years and now it needs looking at due to a smell of gas your reluctant to spend any money , absolutely crazy. :confused:

In the op defence and it is also on topic, my RGI said not to bother getting my boiler (similar to op's) serviced every year as its a waste of money. Nothing to go wrong that wont be immediately obvious. Its a balanced flu btw.

To the op, if the monoxide alarms are not going off and was replacing soon anyway, i would be inclined to leave it. Thays not a recommendation, just my 2c.

Sponsored Links
The OP did not say it was serviced!

He only said it had a safety check. Thats what landlords are meant to have done every year ( by law ).

All my customers with old boilers tell me they are going to replace them "next year" but they never do. One of their excuses is that "you always manage to repair it" !

Tony

No I am NOT a landlord. I wouldn't be asking on here I if was.

It was serviced 4 years ago - why haven't I had it serviced every year ? Essentially that question has been answered, it was suggested by the gas fitter that it wasn't necessary to service it every year.

Why am I asking on here with respect to a question of safety - it's Saturday afternoon, in winter, what are my chances of getting a fitter out on short notice ???

I want to know whether to shut off the boiler and make alternative arrangements regarding not freezing my nuts off !!!

I can't believe the sheer arrogance of the person who calls himself Agile, all I can say is that you have absolutely no clue and I suspect you never will. Don't bother trying.

I can't believe how unhelpful and sanctimonious this forum is, clearly it;s existence relies upon the fact that there are people out there with no idea and a load of tradesmen out there who need to see themselves in type in order to pump up their egos.

Thanks dormermike, not just for saying something that puts my mind at rest in the short term but more importantly for the polite, non judgmental way you answered the question.

No I am NOT a landlord. I wouldn't be asking on here I if was.

It was serviced 4 years ago - why haven't I had it serviced every year ? Essentially that question has been answered, it was suggested by the gas fitter that it wasn't necessary to service it every year.

Why am I asking on here with respect to a question of safety - it's Saturday afternoon, in winter, what are my chances of getting a fitter out on short notice ???

I want to know whether to shut off the boiler and make alternative arrangements regarding not freezing my nuts off !!!

I can't believe the sheer arrogance of the person who calls himself Agile, all I can say is that you have absolutely no clue and I suspect you never will. Don't bother trying.

I can't believe how unhelpful and sanctimonious this forum is, clearly it;s existence relies upon the fact that there are people out there with no idea and a load of tradesmen out there who need to see themselves in type in order to pump up their egos.

Thanks dormermike, not just for saying something that puts my mind at rest in the short term but more importantly for the polite, non judgmental way you answered the question.

dont take it personally, you have to wade through the ****e to get to where you want.

THe OP has already committed a serious breach of the Gas Safety & Use Regulations
by allowing an appliance to stay in use even through it is suspected that a problem exists

the action to be taken on smelling gas is clear turn off at the gas emergency control valve and call for help

this forum does not constitute help!!

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MUST DO!! ;)

I find it hard to believe that you do actually work in the petrolium industry :eek:

If a refinery shut down every time it got a wiff of gas - you'd be carrying your handbag full of tools to work on foot. :LOL:

Op, you smell gas and you should get it checked. It is entirely reasonable for you not to want to fork out a load of dosh on an old boiler. We can also understand that it's freezing out and that you want the thing to operate.

You know the answer to your question really. No RGI on here is going to say live with it, for obvious reasons.

all tradesmen protect there knowledge to keep themselves in business. they are not being arrogant. you should only expect advice on this forum, not how to do gas work that require experience and expensive training. as a gas engineer for many years my advice is switch off your boiler, shut off the gas supply and get professional help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back