Smell of Rotten eggs coming from Hot Water Cylinder !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over the Xmas period we have had the heating on more than usual. I started to smell a pong coming from my 4 year olds room. I immediately thought it was her - as you would !!

However, she unfortunately shares her bedroom with a hot water cylinder !! I noticed a sulphurous smell, like rotten eggs. I am concerned enough to open her window each night as to ventilate the room.

I,m not sure where the pong is coming from - I thought the Hot Water Cylinder was a sealed unit ???

Any ideas welcome + is this a health hazard to my young child ??

Sponsored Links
Do you have a GAS back boiler or conventional flued boiler that is below the airing cupboard as it could be fumes coming up pipe duct.. I would turn off boiler straight away and get someone to check..

I have a conventional Gas Boiler in the kitchen with an external flue. It seems to be working OK -a bit old though.

I am wondering whether the smell is coming from above in th attic. Directly above the water cylinder isthe cold water tank - maybe something has dropped into it ??

Is your pump in airing cupboard as these tend to smell as they burn out but would usually have completely burnt out by now,, Water leaks with inbihitor in it can also leave a funny smell.

Sponsored Links
Check the electrical swithes/sockets especially the immersion heater is not over heating

Checked the attic but no eggy smells from cold water tanks. Everything seems OK.

So, the smell is coming upwards - if it is from the boiler why is it an eggy smell ??

Plus - what do I need to do to sort out the problem ?

Get an RGI to take a look and check for a water leak on the heat exchange

I was quite serious when I said check all the electrical fittings for overheating. It will smell just as you describe and could cause a fire.

If you have an old fitting take it outside and put a match too it and sniff it, but not too much it's poisonous.

Th only electricals are the immersion heater, a wire and a switch which is turned off.

Should it be on ??

You don't need the immersion on if the boiler is working, the problem may not be that just try and think what was working when the smell first visited, and replicate it, it may be a bedroom socket, light fitting or anything, but you need to check them all, if they're white you may notice signs of getting hot

Checked all electrics - seem to be fine.

Could fumes be coming from boiler in kitchen ??

I think I will get a RGI engineer to come and have a look. Not chancing this one - too important re: daughter !!

Could be possible that you have a small leak on the heating circuit. the boiler is pretty old and the water will be pretty old and smelly too if it is leaking and evaporating on your hot pipes, then this could also cause a sulphurous whiff... Just a thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back