Smelly bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not a DIY expert!

We have an awful 'sewer' type smell in our bathroom

A year ago we had a new bathroom installed. I should also add we bouight this house having not lived in it and had it all done up so hav eno idea if the problem was around before but in the few months we had the works done, even though we weren't living in the house there was no smell.

The job was started by a 'builder' who walked out before completing the job.

He did move the soil pipe by around 12-24 inches as we moved the position of the toilet, basically it moved the pipe going into the stack outside from one side to the other.

Once he walked out (he had completed all the main plumbing) we got a plumber in to complete the installation of the rest of the bathroom suite, he said everything seemed to be in order with what had been done previously.

To be honest the smell has been around for a while but it comes and goes, it's not always there, it started probably around 8 months ago and because it comes and goes it's been difficult to track down.

A couple of weeks ago I removed the flexi connector from the toilet to the soil stack and immediately identified the smell! I put the flexi hose back into the soil pipe as tightly as I could and it seemed to sort the problem out.

Tonight the smell is back.
I can't see where the smell is coming backinto the bathroom?
The pipe into the soil pipe seems tight enough, there's no leak.
There's plenty of water in the bottom of the pan.
The toilet seems to flush pretty well.

Sorry it's long but I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated :oops: :)

Could it be this? //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44737

Sponsored Links
Next time you get the smell dip a pencil in the sanitary ware traps to check if they have water in them.

Are there any AAAV's on the system, is there a vent above the roof.

Yes, it does sound like loss of trap seal(s)

Could be a number of things; self syphonage, induced syphonage, capilary action (hairs hanging down thetrap), evaporation (mainly unused properties)

Thank you both for the replies.

There is plenty of water in the traps, sorry, I should've said, I'd looked at that one before (from thsi site).

I think I'll call in a plumber, I don't know a thing about air admitance valves/ventign the system etc but coming on here has helped get a better idea so thanks for all your answers :D

Sponsored Links
The vent pipe comes from your soil pipe and exits through your roof or terminates iniside the property and has a valve on the end which lets air into the system but stops foul gasses coming out, this could be faulty.

Also, even if the traps have water in, there must be enough water to form a trap,. too little and the gases will still come through.

The vent pipe comes from your soil pipe and exits through your roof or terminates iniside the property and has a valve on the end which lets air into the system but stops foul gasses coming out, this could be faulty.

Also, even if the traps have water in, there must be enough water to form a trap,. too little and the gases will still come through.

Thanks again.

I've got a plumber coming for a look tomorrow now anyway, your help is appreciated though at least I've got a better idea of what the problem could be and I am happier being in that position before someone comes around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back