Smelly drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can help.

Our kitchen drain smells when water is running. We don't have any blockages, poured lots of different blockage and other things down there and stripped out the plastic pipework under the sink and cleaned it out.

I've checked the drain outside, used Keyes fluid and can't see anything wrong and not noticed the same smell so I'm really not sure what else I can do.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Surely I'd smell something at the drain? Admittedly I've not put my head right in but haven't noticed a smell.

We did have a blockage last year or possibly year before and had to get in some guys who just plunger'd it and it cleared. The water level still looks ok and flowing ok.

Sponsored Links
Do a service wash wash, which is the hottest and longest programme, with nothing added to the machine, this will clean all the pipe work out. Then report back.

Andy

Thanks we did that in Friday when we received the new machine but still the same

Picture of pipework, inside and out would be handy at this stage please, we can tell at a glance then if there are any glaring errors, otherwise its continued guesswork to rule things out.

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with the washing machine angle?
I have a had a smell this last couple of weeks, not sign of blockage etc, sink draining normal speed, smells a bit eggy... it's my kitchen hopper that stinks... always seems to be late afternoon!

TIA

Eggy smell could be Hydrogen Sulfide, nasty gas thats produced from decomposing organic matter, could be detritus in the gully, could be coming back from the sewer, depends if the water trap in the gully is intact.

Eggy smell could be Hydrogen Sulfide, nasty gas thats produced from decomposing organic matter, could be detritus in the gully, could be coming back from the sewer, depends if the water trap in the gully is intact.
Thanks for this. Been having a read up HS2 is not nice!

I have cleaned out the gully, it was pretty clean, it's one of those gully's with the removable black sleeve.

I haven't cleaned out the sink traps, but there is no smell in the house, just from the outside gully.

Quick pic with the washing machine going off to the left and dishwasher to the right

Attachments

• PXL_20220926_191411661.jpg
    PXL_20220926_191411661.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 41
HS2 is a railway. H2S is a gas. Some people from find both unpleasant! Make sure sleeve is located correctly, this forms the trap, and prevents foul air from coming up for the drains beyond the gully.

Undersink, the Dishwasher drain hose needs lifting up to almost touch the underside of the sink, then fall back down to the outlet, otherwise there is a risk of dirty water backflowing into it when another discharge is made.

Ok thanks will try and see what I can hook it up with as it keeps falling down. That would just be dirty water from the sink going down there? Do you think that could be it although I wouldn't say there is much dirty water that goes down there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back