Smelly Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As a bit of a back story- own a flat in a small block, I'm responsible for anything within the flat and the council for the rest.

For as long as I've lived here we've had issues with our drains - the first sign is every couple of months when flushing the toilet / using the basin you'll hear a bubbling noise from the bath - the toilet will
Also almost fill to the top before draining. At this point I call the council and they send out somone who will unblock one of the drains in the communal area and everything is sorted for the next few months.

This happened about 2 weeks ago now, and whilst the bubbling problem is fixed we seem to have developed an awful smell in the flat - the strange thing is some days it's but others (like today) it is.

Im fairly sure the smell is from one of the kitchen appliances but I'm not certain with it being a small flat.

Question I have is it likely to be an issue with my drains in the flat it's self and just a coincidence that it's started after the last blockage or some sort of communal blockage.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Marc

Sponsored Links
can't tell without being there Marc ,but here is some info that may help you to progress. to prevent the smell of the main drains coming into property's ,all appliances that connect to drainage pipework have to have a water trap.bath/ sinks /toilets / shower /dishwashers /washing machines etc etc. the traps water can be sucked away , if the drainage pipework is blocked /partially obstructed. that's the gurgling sound you hear. as you obviously have an ongoing issue with drains that are communal there would appear to be an unresolved problem there. if the smell is coming from one of your appliances check their waste pipes where they join onto your flats waste pipework ,very often under kitchen sink. and check the kitchen sinks overflow ,that's a place that often collects bits of food etc ,in the pipe that connects overflow to trap .as the pipe is before the water trap they can smell really bad.

Thank you I'll check that - after a bit more digging I *think* the smell is from the washing machine - we recently had a combi boiler installed and it was plumbed into the same drainage pipe as the washing machine is - wonder if that's related.

The machine is intergrated but can get it out - what am I looking for when I pull it out?

Thanks for the help!

you don't at this stage ,unless the drain hose from machine joins into flats pipework behind it. very unlikely on integrated ,no space. take pic undersink . you are looking for grey coloured hose ,about 1 inch diameter ,and " ribbed" in appearance not smooth.

Sponsored Links
Here are a couple of pictures - one from under sink and one from when the kitchen was installed to help explain.

So under the sink the grey hose is from the dish washer - that same pipe then runs around the wall and round the corner to where the washing machine drain is plumbed in in. Hope that helps!

In the picture of the kitchen without units - the sink is under the window and washing machine is on the right hand wall.

IMG_5300.JPG
IMG_5301.PNG

What's connected to the back "arm" of the sink trap? Is it the boiler? If so that's unlikely to be the cause of the smell as it's before the trap.
Where was the old boiler connected? Or was it a non condensing - the one on the second pic is non condensing if that's the old one? If it was connected somewhere else, how was the old hole blocked up?
Are there any traps that are not in use (the one on the right?) and have they been sucked out mostly and then evaporated the rest?

If the smell is wind direction related and you have a history of drain issues, you're right to suspect the drains. However as you've had drain issues for a while and the smell has only just started, be sure to rule out dead mice/prawns dropped down the back of the cupboard/wheelie bin smells blowing in. The hot weather can trigger all sorts.

the grey pipe under sink all looks fine,it is bringing waste from dishwshr, directly to trap.on the right wall is a combined stand pipe and trap ,and wash mach waste pipe basically drops into the top of the standpipe BEFORE the trap. a fairly standard method ,but if the waste pipe from machine is smelly it will be smelled in the flat .it looks as though an additional piece has been added towards top of standpipe and I presume it is for the condensate pipework from boiler. so you would have to gain access to the wash mach waste pipe ,where it meets the standpipe , to have a sniff. is it an old machine ?

Thanks both - the back arm of the sink trap has nothing connected.

Your right that is the old boiler - the new one was fitted after the kitchen was installed - just a couple of months ago actually, the pipe for the boiler drain goes straight down and was connected to the waste pipe - have attached the only image I can get of that without removing the backs of units.

I can get the machine out - if it is that pipe causing the smell is there anything I can do whilst the machines out?

Thanks

IMG_5302.JPG

The ribbed pipe going into the back of the sink waste (before the trap) is the sink overflow and these are commonly the cause of nasty smells. Make sure it's clean by removing it and mechanically cleaning or you can try filling the sink to overflow level and add a bleach or similar to the water as is starts to enter the overflow.

The grey waste hose from the dishwasher needs to be raised before it connects to the sink waste - ideally it should rise to the underside of the worktop level before falling into the waste. At the moment, grey water from the sink can run back into the dishwasher.

The ribbed pipe going into the back of the sink waste (before the trap) is the sink overflow and these are commonly the cause of nasty smells. Make sure it's clean by removing it and mechanically cleaning or you can try filling the sink to overflow level and add a bleach or similar to the water as is starts to enter the overflow.

Will get this off and clean this to see if helps thanks !

The grey waste hose from the dishwasher needs to be raised before it connects to the sink waste - ideally it should rise to the underside of the worktop level before falling into the waste. At the moment, grey water from the sink can run back into the dishwasher.

Will see if there's enough slack on the hose to raise this - thanks for the tip!

usually boilers have an internal trap, and the pipe that exits the boiler may not seal to the drain pipe well. If connecting to internal plumbing you should really have another trap to guarantee sealing the drains properly. However it wouldn't be likely to cause a strong smell unless you have a fan on and the doors shut or something.

Op's 3rd photo is of a clamp on, self-tapping, T for the condense to the boiler.
So the water trap at the boiler needs to be providing the air seal from the drains.
Do the waste for the kitchen terminate outside at a gully? Or does it boss into a soil stack?

Op's 3rd photo is of a clamp on, self-tapping, T for the condense to the boiler.
So the water trap at the boiler needs to be providing the air seal from the drains.
Do the waste for the kitchen terminate outside at a gully? Or does it boss into a soil stack?

As far as I can tell it all goes into a soil stack in the corner.

Cheers

As far as I can tell it all goes into a soil stack in the corner.

Cheers
Yes so you should really have another trap. Try turning the extractor on and closing the door then see if the smell gets worse. Or any draught from where the boiler pipe drops into the drain if accessible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back