Smelly drinking water after self cutting tap installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I recently purchased a dishwasher and for the water supply, I screwed a self-cutting tap into a 15mm copper pipe that is branched out from the same pipe that goes to the sink tap.

The problem is when the self-cutting tap is ON, water on the sink tap is smelly which I assume is because the water on the dishwasher hose flows back and mixes up with it.

In order to stop water flowing back, I tried MANY different parts but none seem to fit "ON THE TAP", I find all check valves are designed to go "ON THE PIPE".

My question is:

1. Does the smell go away if the whole system works long enough (few days/weeks) and if it does, is there any health related concern around leaving it like this?

2. Do you know any non-return valve part that I can purchase and screw ON the TAP?

3. If answer to 1 and 2 are negative, what do you recommend?

NOTES:

- all current pipes are soldered together so, extending them wouldn't fall into my DYI skills.

- This is how my self-cutting tap looks like:
W6EnaHAl.jpg

- And this is how my washing machine (the other appliance) was originally installed.
ENNY2L6l.jpg

Questions about this would be:

W1. Is that a check-valve before the hose connection?
W2. Is is possible for me to add a T-like part to the top of this and get both appliances connected?

Sponsored Links
I'd be looking at sorting all of the leaks out first!

I'd suggest that an hour of a plumbers time would be well worth the hassle and aggravation that you'll be causing yourself.

It's possible to do everything in compression and add bits here and there but a proper job will work better (self cutters restrict flow) look better and won't be showing drips everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back