smelly kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey i moved into my house about three months ago and we had a leak in the kitchen under the floor, that was fixed but about a month later a really bad smell started in my kitchen. i thought it might be the washing machine because its 2nd hand but the smell is always there, it makes the whole house smell. its worse when the dishwasher is used as well as the washing machine and it makes the clothes smelly. im so stuck on what to do as i know nothing about this sort of thing :( would really appreciate any advice! thank you

Sponsored Links
Search web on cleaning products for washing machines and dishwashers they need doing reg.
A lot of people use a dishwasher like a waste disposal and there is rotting food left in the pipes which the smell filters back

i used cleaning granules in the washing machine and it didnt make a difference at all. my dishwasher has only been used twice but it doesnt smell inside, the overall stink just gets stronger when its running?

we had a leak in the kitchen under the floor, that was fixed

tell me how you know it was successfully fixed and there is no remaining leak, and no sewage residue or dead rats under the floor.

Sponsored Links
As John says "how do you know?"
What was leaking - waste, soil or water?
How are your sink and apps plumbed in for waste drainage - do they go outside to a gulley or into another pipe?
Is a Garbage Disposal being used? Is the D/W waste line going high before connecting to it's spigot?
Is this a house or a flat?

hey i moved into my house about three months ago and we had a leak in the kitchen under the floor, that was fixed but about a month later a really bad smell started in my kitchen. i thought it might be the washing machine because its 2nd hand but the smell is always there, it makes the whole house smell. its worse when the dishwasher is used as well as the washing machine and it makes the clothes smelly. im so stuck on what to do as i know nothing about this sort of thing :( would really appreciate any advice! thank you

I'm guessing that the washer/dishwasher wastes are connected into a trap underneath your sink via a multi fit connection.
I would renew the whole washer/trap unit
Here's why :-.
The trap does a great job of preventing sewage smells entering your kitchen, however, when washing machines are discharging into these dual function traps they constantly churn up all the crap that normally just settles in the bottom of the trap, thus creating an almighty pong! :mrgreen:

Have you tried removing the plinth kick boards? If the concrete floor is still wet then this will cause bad smells after a while.

If your washer discharges really fast it can leave the trap dry (like filling a mug with a powerful hose) - and a direct route of bad air from your drains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back