Smelly plates from dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 1 year old bosch dishwasher is making the plates/cups etc smell sort of like a pond. we have tried all sorts of settings, cleaners etc. have even used bleach. has anyone some advice or come across this themselves?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Please describe where the waste pipe goes.

If you can supply pictures this will help a lot.

When did you last take out the filters and scrub them in the sink?

p.s. Do you use the "Heat to dry" option (it may be selectable so you can save electricity by not using it). And do you leave the door open when hot to let steam escape? I presume it is plumbed to incoming main, not the water from a tank? And has it always done this, or is it recent?

IIRC you are not supposed to put bleach or other chemicals in them, but you can get a dishwasher cleaning thing. I've never found it necessary.

The waste goes into its own 2 inch pipe then to the drain.
There is a small filter on the inlet which has been cleaned, the filter inside the washer is also clear. We never put anything in the washer with food on, the plates are cleared first.
I don't think that heat to dry is an option on the Bosch.
We have tried the door closed and open.
Plumbed into the main.
Its been like it for about the past year but sometimes its perfect.
We have looked after it well.
Thanks

Any tips. Or anyone else with the same problem?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
If the waste pipe goes into its own, dedicated, vertical stand-pipe,with a trap at the bottom before it joins the drain, and with the flexible waste hose just tucked a couple of inches into the stand-pipe, that removes the most common cause.

If you have cleaned out any residue of rotting food from the filters and arms, that removes the next.

If the supply pipe somes from the mains, so there can be no fragments of drowned and decomposing mouse from the tank or pipes, that removes a less common cause.

If the heater is bringing the water to full temperature, that should kill most organisms inside. And if the softener is well-charged with salt and working properly there should be no scale to catch food traces. If you are using a good brand of detergent tablet, there should be no foam to prevent the pump from washing away all food traces. You must not let washing-up liquid get inside the dishwasher.

I've run out of ideas.

You could try a "dishwasher freshen up" bottle. You put the whole bottle into the dishwasher (you don't tip the contents out)

You can make sure the door is left slightly open after use to prevent it being damp enough to support mould or bacteria.

If you can post pics of the pipes, that might spark some ideas.

Check inside the cabinet during a wash to see that the pump is emptying all the dirty water at the end of each wash and rinse,and that there are no upright vessels (pans or mugs) holding used water,and that it is unbearably hot during the wash and final rinse.

We may have solved the pondy smell problem, fingers crossed. We have tried loads of things but I noticed that my wife was putting loads of dishwasher cleaner in the little compartment, so I said just use a tea spoon full to see if there is any difference and for the last 8 - 10 washes there has been no smell. This must be the problem and I have no idea why but it seems to be working.
The wife said she has always put that amount in but never had the smell before, so why now? just do as your told I said! :LOL:

Hope this helps others.

Thanks for everyones input :D

maybe it was getting clogged

But her a box of dishwasher tablets :idea:

She tried the tablets but we still had the smell.
Seems to be too much cleaner, why would this be because 1 tablet is 1 wash, correct?

Thanks

I have the same dishwasher and have exactly the same problem - the outlet to ours goes out through the wall and down into the drain (with a gap which is supposed to iliminate smells) so this is not the problem - i use dishwasher tablets, cleaned all the filters etc and still have the same smell - sometimes it is ok and sometimes not, sometimes when the cups come out they smell fine then within an hour or so they smell terrible - i had a hotpoint dishwasher in my previous house and don't do anything diffent with this one but never had this issue with the hotpoint - please help

photos of the waste pipe and drain will help.

Image of pipe work under sink dishwasher outlet from right hand side, does this look right? We have tried everything, changed the water feed leads, checked the waste outlet pipes, used every dishwasher cleaner known to man (including bleach), Checked all the tanks in the loft, used every sink and plughole cleaner i can, even checked the drains outside which lead to the mains. Please, please has anyone any ideas??? :cry:

Something I've seen on several Bosch dishwashers is a build up of a jelly like mould (pale brown in colour) in the hinge and under the rubber seals at the bottom of the inside of the door. It's not immediately obvious because the rest of the interior looks perfectly clean. The slime's really nasty to scrape out so use rubber gloves!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back